Music Licensing Companies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music Licensing Companies?

For those of you out there in brewery-land that have public tasting rooms, how many of you have been approached by one of the music licensing companies like ASCAP or BMI?

We have, regarding the music we play in our tasting room (CDs on a stereo system), and have to pay a yearly fee to ASCAP for the right to give public performances of their client's music. I don't see very many other breweries, bars, restaurants in our area who have had to do this and I'm curious if we are truly the exception, at least as far as breweries go.

Prost!
    Dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

We paid the first two years we were open. Those bastards are relentless. We only play the radio now.
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

We also had to pay these guys, we thought we were OK because we play SIRIUS radio (which we are) but they got us on our live music (cover bands). Yes they are very very relentless!!

Comment

Originally posted by GlacierBrewing
        For those of you out there in brewery-land that have public tasting rooms, how many of you have been approached by one of the music licensing companies like ASCAP or BMI?

We have, regarding the music we play in our tasting room (CDs on a stereo system), and have to pay a yearly fee to ASCAP for the right to give public performances of their client's music. I don't see very many other breweries, bars, restaurants in our area who have had to do this and I'm curious if we are truly the exception, at least as far as breweries go.

Prost!
        Dave
        I'd be willing to bet that every single bar and restaurant in your area is paying BMI and ASCAP. As well as any store playing music other than something piped-in like Muzak (they cover the fees). The performance rights organizations are indeed relentless! That's the only way their clients, the songwriters and publishers, can make their money.

Originally posted by beertje46
        We paid the first two years we were open. Those bastards are relentless. We only play the radio now.
        Yep, and they'll come after you again if they learn you're playing the radio in a public place of business!

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Watch out if you play music from an Mp3 player it will cost you even more, $800 or so if i remember correctly.

Sirius/XM is the way to go IMHO.
          Jeff Byrne

Comment

Originally posted by kylesmi
            We also had to pay these guys, we thought we were OK because we play SIRIUS radio (which we are) but they got us on our live music (cover bands). Yes they are very very relentless!!
            I agree with kylesmi. Just spent the morning on the phone with my satelite music provider. We are covered through the fees paid to XM. Not covered if we play live music. It's 320.00 per year for us. For that minimal amount I'm not taking the chance!
            Besides, now I can sleep at night knowing the poor musicians can afford that rock-n-roll lifestyle
            Cheers,

Brian Ford
            Auburn Alehouse
            brewmaster@auburnalehouse.com

Comment

Same here, we switched to XM in the tap room. I-pods in the brewery and kitchen.
              Paul Thomas
              Brewer
              Sockeye Brewing
              www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

Originally posted by tarmadilo
                I'd be willing to bet that every single bar and restaurant in your area is paying BMI and ASCAP. As well as any store playing music other than something piped-in like Muzak (they cover the fees). The performance rights organizations are indeed relentless! That's the only way their clients, the songwriters and publishers, can make their money.
                Ya know, I thought the same thing. But when I called around, not only are most of the bars/restaurants NOT paying these guys but they had NEVER EVEN HEARD OF THEM!
                When I asked ASCAP directly "Why us?". They said that somebody either called them about us or one of their employees passed through. Welcome to Montana Brewery Life!
                Glacier Brewing Company
                406-883-2595
                info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Originally posted by tarmadilo
                  Yep, and they'll come after you again if they learn you're playing the radio in a public place of business!
                  Cheers, Tim
                  Did I say radio, I meant XM, yeah XM.
                  Cheers & I'm out!
                  David R. Pierce
                  NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
                  POB 343
                  New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Originally posted by GlacierBrewing
                    I don't see very many other breweries, bars, restaurants in our area who have had to do this and I'm curious if we are truly the exception, at least as far as breweries go.

Dave - this has something to do with the size (in SF) of your brewery... and the only exception to this is to play radio and TV if you are under a certain size... see:

and hey, there's always online radio stations as well if you think the local stations have limited selection. I like www.last.fm

personally, I would just sing myself. no one can charge me anything other than noise pollution.

Comment

Sorry....

As a brewer and a member of ASCAP and the Musicians Union......Sorry. They're just trying to get their piece of the pie and sometimes it comes across in an aggressive way. We've (the brewery) never been approached because our tasting room has no music. I need to change that.....

Comment

Working...
                      X