uses 4 corn???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uses 4 corn???

Anyone got any create ideas to use corn in a beer?

Is this a syrup, brewer's grits, shelled field corn, canned creamed corn, or Green Giant frozen? I've used corn many times with great success. Now using rice in our signature beer to make a great light ale--lager style. Contrary to the majority(?) of US brewers' use of massive amounts of hops and whack-you-over-the-head malt profiles and high terminal gravities, I find it particularly challenging to create delicious, light session beers. The challenge is that any tiny mistake or imbalance shows through the beer. The rewards are that people drink many more of them than the heavy-bodied beers. And you get to achieve a subtle beer full of fine nuances. IF you're using grits (my preference), then the procedure is fairly straightforward: cook (boil or simmer--you'll need at least 75C) your grits until you achieve gelatinization. Corn has a wider time-temperature range than most starches. Your results may vary, but a rule of thumb is to sample some (eat it) while cooking and note any hard pieces that haven't liquefied yet. When these are gone, your corn is ready to add to the mash. I use my kettle as a cooker and pump the loose liquid on top of my barley mash through the vorlauf while stirring. This allows me to have a lower (protease or amylase) rest before adding the hot adjunct to achieve my strike temperature. Never have an issue with lautering, but then again I use a high fraction of 6-row to lend diastatic power. Hope this helps. PM me with any questions. Cheers!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Poor Richard's Ale recipe had a lot of corn in it-it was a great beer, people still ask if we will brew it again.
      Paul Thomas
      Brewer
      Sockeye Brewing
      www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

Pre-gelatinized corn flakes? Easy to use.

Should be low oil content.

Check Briess website.

Pax.

Liam
        Liam McKenna
        www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Working...
        X