Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone use Infra-red Heating?

Hello all,

Still planning (and planning and planning ) my start-up and I was looking into the idea of infra-red heating for the brewery, I was just wondering if anyone else uses this and what effect it may have on cooling units such as walk-in coolers or jacketed tanks.

Any advice is appreciated, Thanks!

Perhaps I should be more specific, I am looking into using gas fired infra-red radiant tube heaters for the brewery in the main process room, shipping and bottling areas.

Here is a website about basic infra-red radiant theory:

Since the energy is absorbed by objects and then re-emitted, would it affect things like glycol jacketed tanks?

I can only assume it would, though the manufacturer has not given me a response yet, I will post here when they do so that we can all share the information.

Cheers!
    Last edited by practicalpants; 12-16-2008, 09:32 AM.

Comment

My gut instinct as a spray foam insulator tells me your walk in coolers will not be significantly effected any more or less than other forms of heat. The closed cell foams in place can handle the radiant heat that then must conduct through the cooler box.
      The glycol tanks are a logical concern and maybe radiant energy compared to convective heat sources would effect the efficiency's of your tank cooling systems more. You have exceeded my pay grade. Ok you engineers.

Comment

Just an update here:

I still have not heard back from the manufacturer, they seem to want to pass the buck and not respond to my questions.

I will make another attempt, and then try other manufacturers.

Comment

Maybe just don't put the heaters near the stuff you want to keep cool? Am I oversimplifying things here or missing something?

Mostly, don't heat where you won't be spending lots of time. The chiller will kick out some heat, plus you'll be brewing all that beer, right? That's a huge heat source.

Save your startup money, and start with less... you can always add them later.
          Cheers,
          S

Comment

I used to install these things in another life...

Basically they only heat line-of-sight. If you have the option, they will be fine if you simply point them away from anything you don't want to be affected.

I cannot give you an answer as to whether or not they will affect the jacketed tanks in the first place, but I can tell you if you have the option as long as they're not directly "shining" on the items in question they won't heat it. I think different radiator panels (the shiny "shields" over the tube) are available to fine-tune your radiant pattern - like the adjustable choke on a shotgun.

Comment

Thanks for the input Darel.

Would you say they have any advantages over forced air other than not moving air (dust, etc.) around in a brewery?

Comment

Gas burners w/ blowers definitely kick up some dust and a small amount of soot. They require periodic cleaning too.

There's a reused building supply place near us here, and they use gas fired radiant heaters in a very poorly insulated, very high ceiling building, and it seems like a great solution. Even if you just point them from overhead straight to the floor - you get something like a hydronic radiant floor heating effect, so your feet are warm. Something I'd kill for in my place around this time of year.

If there's a place near you that uses them, stop in and check them out.
                Cheers,
                Scott

Comment

Working...
                X