bottle conditioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bottle conditioning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HI All:

On behalf of the MBAA I will give a paper at the IBS at next years CBC in Boston. I have selected to talk about Bottle conditioning of beers.
    Now, as part of my talk, I would like to present what Craft Brewers, Pub Brewers, and Homebrewers use and their technic, i.e.,
    * what priming sugar do you use
    * how much of your priming sugar in 5 gal of beer
    * any idea what your carbonation level is before adding the priming sugar and what carbonation level you are looking for.

If you want, you can email me private to

Fredscheer07@comcast.net

Thanks very much
    Fred

Why "how much priming sugar in 5 gallons?"
    Why not per liter or gallon...? Seems much easier to run calculations. Most people on this website aren't homebrewers... =)

I use Dextrose/Corn sugar.
    Sought after Carbonation level is usually between 4.5 and 6 grams of CO2 (2.25 and 3 VOLS).
    Carbonation level is, after talking to several reputable sources, usually around 1.5 and 2 grams (.8 to 1.2 Vols) post fermentation.
    Thus: 4.5 grams (desired) - 2 grams (present)= 2.5 grams x 2 (50%, roughly, of sugar goes to CO2) = 5 grams per liter of priming sugar.

Comment

Originally posted by grassrootsvt
      I use Dextrose/Corn sugar.
      I am always intrigued how homebrewer books/supply stores always tell people to use dextrose (glucose).

Sucrose (regular table sugar) works just fine for me. Anyone want to chip in and tell me the story behind monosaccharide instead of disaccharide? they have the same amount of sugar at a given weight anyways.

Comment

priming sugar

Hey grassrootsvt, jarviw............

Please keep in mind that the American Craft Brewing movement was started by Homebrewers. We all can learn from each other................................
        To let all of you know, I have 7 responses from Craft Brewers, and through postings at HBD, 75 responses from Homebrewers.

Dextrose is widely used as priming sugar because it will ferment completely
        in the bottle, dependend on your yeast viability.
        But all of this is part of my paper.........................

Txs eitherway for responses and please ... keep the emails coming about
        this subject....appreciate it.....

Cheers,

Fred

Comment

Sucrose transport

It probalby doesn't make a whole lot of difference but sucrose is to big to diffuse through the yeast cell wall, so yeast must first synthesize an enzyme and release it into the beer where it cleaves the sucrose, then the yeast can take it in the cell and metabolize it to carbon dioxide. So dextrose aka (glucose) may be a bit easier for the yeast to work with in theory.

Comment

Indeed...

Fred,
            I completely agree - I'm sure that all of us were homebrewers once/still are! However, I don't like the 5 gallon dosage rate because - as you know - batch sizes and yield vary. It is much easier to work from a formula, I think (and this is actually even BASED upon my homebrew days) that relates to gallons or liters. Just a concern with ease of use and formulas...
            Cheers!
            Shaun e.

Comment

formulae

Brewers actually have a language where others don't. Impressive!!

"How much of this per that" is the tongue that speaks to us all. I wish the herbal community could snap to this concept. I would propose some kind of ratio of plant(solid) to liquid ratio that relates to grams per milliliter. I can get that. I bet others can too. I bet if we all can standardize to something this simple, we all may be able to communicate. I bet the herbal community could too! We all better start somewhere before the understanding and language gets too muddy. For gosh sakes, this is beer, medicine, flavors and more and it all relates to "how much" gets put into "how much". It may not be this simple, but starting somewhere with g/ml may sure help us all communicate.

I feel that I could make about any product involving a liquid, a plant,,,, and share that knowledge,,,,, as long as I know the g/ml of what is in it and the processes involved to get there. It really is simple.

What am I missing besides the interactions of the component parts?

Why aren't more products described with some form of g/ml?

This is just a concentration ratio. Maybe we can all relate and understand such a thing?

Am I missing something? ....other than clammoring for common language?

Can brewers/distillers actually become a model for the herbal industry?----- just because you've been there, done that, and have a language to describe it---perhaps in language like g/ml?

Wanna try?

Comment

Hi Fred -

Can you recommend any particular yeast strain for cask conditioning and what procedures do you use for priming sugar amounts, timing, etc.?

Thanks!
                Cheers!

K

Comment

bottle conditioning

Originally posted by barleygirl
                  Hi Fred -

Can you recommend any particular yeast strain for cask conditioning and what procedures do you use for priming sugar amounts, timing, etc.?

Thanks!
                  Cheers!

K

HI K;
                  Very good question.
                  Procedures of priming and conditioning vary from place to place.

Based on our original CO2 level at bottling (1.9 vol%) we add ~ 60 g corn sugar per 230 ml water; than boil shortly and add to bottling tank (or cask)of 5 gallon.

We use White labs (I'm not payd by White labs) small homebrew vials for 5 gallon pitching. If we do bottles, we can decide to bottle smaller amounts (~ 2 gallons) or larger amounts, 5 gallons. We mix the yeast vials into the amount of beer to be bottled, close the bottles and bottle ferment
                  (re-ferment)at 60*F for ~ 1 week. Than, we store the bottles in the cold storage for 2 weeks before starting to sell.
                  The same procedure is done with casks.

We offer our customers different flavors in casks through having the same beer re-ferment with different yeast styles (vials of WLP). It is very interesting to see that our customers decide which beer with which yeast they really like (and they let me know....). The favored beer style (of course...) is our Bombay IPA, re-fermented with WLP American Ale Yeast.
                  Thanks for your question

Cheers,
                  Fred

Comment

The American craft brewer renaissance was not started by homebrewers. Between Fritz Maytag of Anchor-reviving a dying micro in '67, and Jack McAuliffe starting commercially from dirt in '76, that's the beginning. Homebrewing wasn't legal until after both (as if that mattered...). Granted, homebrewers have kept it populated and lively since then.
                    Fred, what about bottle krausening?
                    Thank you for agreeing to make the presentation!
                    Last edited by Moonlight; 01-04-2009, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X