anyone make a peppermint brew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone make a peppermint brew?

So I screwed up when naming my belgian white and pu White Winter on the menu but called it Snow White in the Yankee brew News. So now I want to make two beers from one and thought to add some "winter" flavors to a few kegs. Allspice, cinomon, etc. But those flavors have been done and I saw some peppermint canies and thought "why not?" Problem is by trying a few crushed canies in a pint I got a little flavor leading me to think 4-5 canies per pint, 248 pints per barrel, you see where this is going, right?

So, anyone ever try this using actual peppermint leaves, crushed pepper and mint leaves, is there a crushed peppermint candy available, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers!

"Uncle Frank"
    "Uncle" Frank
    Frank Fermino
    Brewer I, Redhook, Portsmouth, NH
    Writer, Yankee Brew News, New England
    Wise-ass, Everywhere, Always

I used McCormicks peppermint extract in a stout last year, and it came out very nice. 15ml per keg, the stuff is potent and it goes a loooong way
    Tim Butler

Empire Brewing Co.
    Syracuse, NY

Comment

Peppermint Brew

I agree...go with extract...I made a peppermint porter on cask with extract and it wasgone in hours! Extract is easier and more predictable.
      Owen

successfulbreweryconsulting.com

Comment

I was thinking of extract but feel like Im cheating. I always use real fruit for my fruit beers so I wanted to do the same here. However, its a spice and perhaps I'm not cheating then.

I like the stout idea. After reading that I crunched up a few canies and put them in a glass of stout. Nice mix so the extract could work well there.

This idea is for a belgian white so I want the flavors to compliment the orange peel/coriander mix.

I do have access to some peppermint/taragon tea. Im thinking perhaps a few bags steeped into a side-bung keg?
        "Uncle" Frank
        Frank Fermino

Comment

Originally posted by BMXFRANK
          I was thinking of extract but feel like Im cheating. I always use real fruit for my fruit beers so I wanted to do the same here. However, its a spice and perhaps I'm not cheating then.

I like the stout idea. After reading that I crunched up a few canies and put them in a glass of stout. Nice mix so the extract could work well there.

This idea is for a belgian white so I want the flavors to compliment the orange peel/coriander mix.

I do have access to some peppermint/taragon tea. Im thinking perhaps a few bags steeped into a side-bung keg?
          What do you suppose those canes are made from? Wait for it...

Extract! and some kind of sugar.
          Cheers & I'm out!
          David R. Pierce
          NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
          POB 343
          New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

good point..

Sold. Of to get some extract and create some beer. Perhaps a couple of new kegs, one Wit and one Stout.

Thanks again.
            "Uncle" Frank
            Frank Fermino

Comment

Originally posted by BMXFRANK
              Sold. Of to get some extract and create some beer.
              Thanks again.
              Not just some beer, a very fine, reproducible beer. Let us know how it turns out.
              Cheers & I'm out!
              David R. Pierce
              NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
              POB 343
              New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

impossible

I know it's most likely impossible but I thought about bottle conditioning some Christmas ale with a candy cane in each bottle. That way you can prime and flavor at the same time and give each bottle a neat look. ( for a short time).

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Logan
                  I know it's most likely impossible but I thought about bottle conditioning some Christmas ale with a candy cane in each bottle. That way you can prime and flavor at the same time and give each bottle a neat look. ( for a short time).

I cant do that here but I still play around with home brew too, so that could be really cool. Hell, we had someone try to prime with PEZ candies once, so why not.

As for the final decision, I got both the tea leaves and the extract. Im going to one keg each way of the Belgian Wit and see how they taste in a few days. The remaining extract will go into a cask stout for the CT Real Ale fest at the end of January.
                  "Uncle" Frank
                  Frank Fermino

Comment

I put a half pound of peppermint coffee beans in a 4 bbl batch of porter last year. Turned out really nice. I didn't grind them up, i just cracked the whole beans a bit. Nice stuff.

Comment

Get a hold of Scott Isham at Harpers in Lansing Michigan. He made a GREAT mint beer a few years ago. I don't really like this kind of thing but I got a growler it. Wonderful stuff. He's on here often.

Comment

Try Tim Butler at Empire Brewing, also brewed a chocolate mint stout last year. He's on here fairly frequently

Kiernan

Comment

Mint Beer

+++1 on using extract instead of leaves or candy. also as was already mentioned, a little goes a loooooonnnnngggg way so just be careful.
                          www.beerontheriver.com

Comment

We used Peppermint Peeps in a cask ale a few weeks ago and it came out well.

Comment

Originally posted by xXBoldCityXx
                              We used Peppermint Peeps in a cask ale a few weeks ago and it came out well.

Peeps? Like the marshmellow candy?
                              "Uncle" Frank
                              Frank Fermino

Comment

Working...
                              X