PDA

View Full Version : anyone make a peppermint brew?

BMXFRANK
12-29-2008, 08:12 AM
So I screwed up when naming my belgian white and pu White Winter on the menu but called it Snow White in the Yankee brew News. So now I want to make two beers from one and thought to add some "winter" flavors to a few kegs. Allspice, cinomon, etc. But those flavors have been done and I saw some peppermint canies and thought "why not?" Problem is by trying a few crushed canies in a pint I got a little flavor leading me to think 4-5 canies per pint, 248 pints per barrel, you see where this is going, right?

So, anyone ever try this using actual peppermint leaves, crushed pepper and mint leaves, is there a crushed peppermint candy available, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers!

"Uncle Frank"

NYSBrewer
12-29-2008, 08:14 AM
I used McCormicks peppermint extract in a stout last year, and it came out very nice. 15ml per keg, the stuff is potent and it goes a loooong way

owen williams
12-29-2008, 08:43 AM
I agree...go with extract...I made a peppermint porter on cask with extract and it wasgone in hours! Extract is easier and more predictable.
Owen

successfulbreweryconsulting.com

BMXFRANK
12-29-2008, 10:39 AM
I was thinking of extract but feel like Im cheating. I always use real fruit for my fruit beers so I wanted to do the same here. However, its a spice and perhaps I'm not cheating then.

I like the stout idea. After reading that I crunched up a few canies and put them in a glass of stout. Nice mix so the extract could work well there.

This idea is for a belgian white so I want the flavors to compliment the orange peel/coriander mix.

I do have access to some peppermint/taragon tea. Im thinking perhaps a few bags steeped into a side-bung keg?

beertje46
12-29-2008, 10:49 AM
I was thinking of extract but feel like Im cheating. I always use real fruit for my fruit beers so I wanted to do the same here. However, its a spice and perhaps I'm not cheating then.

I like the stout idea. After reading that I crunched up a few canies and put them in a glass of stout. Nice mix so the extract could work well there.

This idea is for a belgian white so I want the flavors to compliment the orange peel/coriander mix.

I do have access to some peppermint/taragon tea. Im thinking perhaps a few bags steeped into a side-bung keg?
What do you suppose those canes are made from? Wait for it...

Extract! and some kind of sugar.

BMXFRANK
12-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Sold. Of to get some extract and create some beer. Perhaps a couple of new kegs, one Wit and one Stout.

Thanks again.

beertje46
12-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Sold. Of to get some extract and create some beer.
Thanks again.

Not just some beer, a very fine, reproducible beer. Let us know how it turns out.

Geoff Logan
12-29-2008, 07:28 PM
I know it's most likely impossible but I thought about bottle conditioning some Christmas ale with a candy cane in each bottle. That way you can prime and flavor at the same time and give each bottle a neat look. ( for a short time).

BMXFRANK
12-30-2008, 07:37 AM
I know it's most likely impossible but I thought about bottle conditioning some Christmas ale with a candy cane in each bottle. That way you can prime and flavor at the same time and give each bottle a neat look. ( for a short time).

I cant do that here but I still play around with home brew too, so that could be really cool. Hell, we had someone try to prime with PEZ candies once, so why not.

As for the final decision, I got both the tea leaves and the extract. Im going to one keg each way of the Belgian Wit and see how they taste in a few days. The remaining extract will go into a cask stout for the CT Real Ale fest at the end of January.

jay_c
12-30-2008, 08:56 AM
I put a half pound of peppermint coffee beans in a 4 bbl batch of porter last year. Turned out really nice. I didn't grind them up, i just cracked the whole beans a bit. Nice stuff.

jjs
01-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Get a hold of Scott Isham at Harpers in Lansing Michigan. He made a GREAT mint beer a few years ago. I don't really like this kind of thing but I got a growler it. Wonderful stuff. He's on here often.

frigatebay
01-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Try Tim Butler at Empire Brewing, also brewed a chocolate mint stout last year. He's on here fairly frequently

Kiernan

v2comp
01-05-2009, 08:13 PM
+++1 on using extract instead of leaves or candy. also as was already mentioned, a little goes a loooooonnnnngggg way so just be careful.

xXBoldCityXx
01-06-2009, 05:19 AM
We used Peppermint Peeps in a cask ale a few weeks ago and it came out well.

BMXFRANK
01-07-2009, 09:32 AM
We used Peppermint Peeps in a cask ale a few weeks ago and it came out well.

Peeps? Like the marshmellow candy?

BMXFRANK
01-07-2009, 09:42 AM
So I took all this advice (thanks, I appreciate it) and did the following.

Three side bung kegs, one filled with Cask Oatmeal Stout, the other two with Belgian Wit that is more tart than sweet for some reason.

One of the Wit kegs I used 15 mL of the extract, the other I used 24 tea bags from Tazzo Tea which contain Peppermint, Spearamint, and Tarragon (the tarragon imparts little to no flavor by the way).
I thought to use the extract keg first in order to give the "tea" keg time to absorb flavor.

The extract keg was good at first, mellow and different but the peppermint is now taking over the longer it sits and now taste like Scope Mouthwash. It was about 1/2 gone so I topped it off with more unflavored Wit to dilute it, but its still too strong. I have pulled that keg and am now using the teabag keg which is much mellower.

The Stout keg now sits untouched while I debate adding the remainder of the peppermint extract to it for a festival in which the beer should go rather quickly and not get a chance to get stronger. I also think perhaps the darker malts might go better and create sort of a "Peppermint Patty" beer.

If I decide against it I plan to add molasses and raisins to the keg and create an Oatmeal Cookie Cask.

The only think left is I dont know what to do with the over minty keg of Wit. Maybe de-gass it and serve that on cask at the fest too along with the Oatmeal Cookie Stout?

Well, everyone said let us know how it turned out, so there you go! Happy Brewing!