Whirlpool-mash/kettle combi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpool-mash/kettle combi

Anyone using a combination tank -Mash/Kettle with a mixer to whirlpool in with good results?

I want to add a whirlpool process to: Mash/kettle tank, with a mixer, dish bottom, and typical kettle dimensions...

Any thoughts? Will I have a difficulties achieving separation.

Thanks

I.D. Rinks

Hi,

I worked at a brewery for a short while that had a 25HL mash/kettle system from PSS (Slovakian system) with bottom mounted agitator. Post boil the agitator would run at a certain speed for a number of minutes (can't remember exact details) and then would stop and the whirlpool rest would happen for 20min. You obviously need the oulet to be on the side of the tank. So the issue is where to put the outlet to miss the trub pile, but not miss the pile so much that wort is left behind (the issue we had)....... but it does work.

Cheers,

Alex

Comment

used that type of setup for years....they don't whirlpool well at all. If you want to add a vessel consider adding a whirlpool...cheapest option.
      Larry Horwitz

Comment

We have a Premiere Stainless system that has a mash/kettle with separate Lauter. The agitator/propeller in the kettle works for mixing the mash and also has a programmable frequency drive on the agitator so that it can be used for a whirlpool post boil. Starts at 50hz and counts down to 0 - the whirlpool works just great. The only problem is that the kettle bottom doesn't have a sufficient cone to contain the trub during knockout... and the outlet is just a bit to high (without a dam) and I consistently leave 100 to 150 liters of wort/trub behind! To be expected on a double ipa, but not on a witbier or pils. The propeller/agitator can work fine (in fact, is probably MORE desirable than a pump - there is no aeration! only subtle shearing...) - the rest is up to kettle geometry.
        Cheers,
        Shaun e.

Comment

Working...
        X