Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast propagation pitching rates

Good day,

I have a question concerning pitching rates into a yeast prop. Looking at 500-600L of wort, would a 1bbL pitchable culture be sufficient yeast for propagation purposes (as opposed to fermentation)? This is with 12-13°P wort boiled & cooled in-prop, agitator and continuous shaft aeration. Would this work?

Cheers

Pitching.

This is a handy tool...
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Thanks, but that seems more appropriate for pitching into fermentations than for propagation... by any measure a 1bbl pitchable culture would definitely be underpitching in 500-600L of wort for fermentation purposes.

I guess another way to phrase my question would be... is there a minimum recommended pitching rate for propagation?

Comment

That calculator is for propagation, you adjust your your starting pitch rate according to your desired count for the primary of the entire batch size. Wyeast recommends 6 million cells per/ml for full volume primary up to 15 degrees plato.

Comment

Indeed.
          Propagate: 1/2 liter into 60 to 80 liters of 10 to 12 Plato wort and, after 48 hours, push this into 600 liters of fresh wort.

Comment

Just a quick update to let you know,

We started using a "2-3 bbl" pitchable culture into 600L of wort for propagation and it has worked well -- initial count of 1-2 million cells per mL propagating up to around 100 million in a few days.

Comment

2-3 bbl is 234-351 liters. And this into 600 liters of wort? That's around two-to-one. That doesn't seem right to me. Rule of thumb is ten-to-one. That's 60 liters of high krausen into 600 liters of fresh wort. At your propagation rate, it will take many generations to get where you're going. Am I missing something?
              Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

The 2-3bbl pitchable culture is enough slurry to ferment 2-3bbl of beer, not 2-3bbls of a pitchable culture. is that where we're getting confused?

Comment

Working...
                X