organic hop crown photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• organic hop crown photos

I've mentioned before that I grow organic hops in 15 gal buckets as part of research and thought folks might like to see a 3 year old crown of Nugget grown here in NM.

Picts are of the bucket with roots coming out the bottoms,,crown with dirt,,,crown washed,,and crown eyebuds starting.

It's been warm here this spring. This plant is pretty average relative to all the other 3 yr old Euro hops.

Plants are about 18" cubed bareroot and about 9-12# each. 2-3 rhizomes were planted per bucket 3 yrs ago.

Happy and healthy plants!
    Attached Files

Hey, nice looking crowns! I'm going to dig up a few of mine to give away here in a month or so, but my little farm is in a cold area half way up a mountain, so no new planting til at least the end of April for me. The English varieties didn't do so well.

I just go an e-mail from my rhizome guy asking me which varieties I want this year...apparently there's a lot of people asking about them, so he's afraid they'll run out or something...I'd better get something together this weekend!
    www.devilcraft.jp
    www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

Sent you a PM.

Thanks

Comment

Euro vs. NM hop crown difference

Here's a couple of picts of 1 yr old hop crowns. One is the Euro hop and the other is a NM hop. Euro hops are Humulus lupulus and the NM hop is Humulus lupulus var. neomexicana. The difference is visible.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hop planting peeps have said hops need at least Twenty (20) inches of H2O during the growing season, how goes that equate to a drip irrigation system?
          GPH/ amount of cycles. What moisture content should I be aiming for.

Comment

Lance,-
            Timing is everything. Need increases with growth. The girls get thirsty and show it if you're late.

I water early AM. Daily when the game is on. Drip sprayers. They do get thirsty at times. Not all suffering is good.

Soil perc and saturation issues,,solar orientation,,one plant or a field,,,etc...

I haven't calculated my usage yet,, but the hungry girls got fed a heck of alot of food,,both with drip and foliar.

Telling H2O efficiency in NM is like cutting off both legs.....get it? Water issues. Punish the efficient for another apartment or house seed project kinda thing.

Lance- If you create the beast, you must feed and water her accordingly.

Comment

Working...
            X