Kettle exhaust stack fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kettle exhaust stack fan?

So we are running a 6" flue with no fan to pull. Seems to do fine except when it is humid outside, and I end up steaming up the brewery which is open to the restaurant. Anyone else have this problem? If not, what size fan are you using? 7bbl kettle, 15-20 ft rise. Where should I look to find a weather proof fan that would sit on the end of the stack?
    Steve Purdie, Brewer
    The Terminal BrewHouse
    Chattanooga Tn

McMaster-Carr page 617 Inline Flue-Gas Exhausters
    Mount exhausters directly to your duct to start air flow, increasing furnace efficiency. They're made of aluminized steel and have a single-phase open motor that operates on 115 VAC, 60 Hz. Maximum flue gas temperature at exhauster inlet is 575° F. Mounting hardware is included.
    Note: Cannot be used for sidewall venting applications.
    1902K11 and 1902K14 have three 6" wire leads for hardwiring.
    1902K27 has screw terminals.

Mount as far away from your kettle as possible. Does a good job keeping the flow going and is cheaper than a powered steam vent.
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Thanks for your response. I saw that one, what is the cut out required all about?
      Steve Purdie, Brewer
      The Terminal BrewHouse
      Chattanooga Tn

Comment

In the short term, what I've done in the past with the same problem is put a regular box fan on the manway of the kettle.
        Scott Isham
        Harper's Brewpub

Comment

dave

have you actually used that product from mcmaster?

not something that can be mounted on the roof (weatherproof) though?

Comment

Originally posted by ibrewforyou
            dave

have you actually used that product from mcmaster?

not something that can be mounted on the roof (weatherproof) though?
            I had my first unit installed on the roof under the rain cap on the steam vent. I also covered the unit with an inverted piece of sheet metal as additional weather protection. I haven't worked in that brewery for five years but it worked for the ten years I was there.
            Cheers & I'm out!
            David R. Pierce
            NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
            POB 343
            New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

We'll be producing a lot of lagers and I'd like to do what I can to keep DMS down (we do a 90m boil minimum).

So I don't have to keep the kettle manway open during the boil (to keep a nice rolling boil going) I'm thinking of adding an exhaust fan to the kettle stack.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions if so (aside from the McMaster-Carr link above)?

Comment

Originally posted by fastricky
                We'll be producing a lot of lagers and I'd like to do what I can to keep DMS down (we do a 90m boil minimum).

So I don't have to keep the kettle manway open during the boil (to keep a nice rolling boil going) I'm thinking of adding an exhaust fan to the kettle stack.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions if so (aside from the McMaster-Carr link above)?
                Hi,

You need to condense vapours from the copper as soon as they leave the copper vent pipe. A vapour condenser would do this effectively as well as obviating the need for a long stack that only invites condensation that will fall back (along with DMS) into the copper. An exhaust fan is not necessary nor is it necessary, nor desirable, to keep the copper manway open.

I have been designing and installing these since 1993. If you wish more information please get in contact with mike@michaelgeorgeassociates.com

Kind regards
                Michael George

Comment

Originally posted by Spurdie
                  So we are running a 6" flue with no fan to pull. Seems to do fine except when it is humid outside, and I end up steaming up the brewery which is open to the restaurant. Anyone else have this problem? If not, what size fan are you using? 7bbl kettle, 15-20 ft rise. Where should I look to find a weather proof fan that would sit on the end of the stack?
                  Hi,

I would recommend a vapour condenser. Mounted on top of your copper, it would extend to a height of approximately 5 ft. Vapours would be condensed as soon as they exited the copper vapour vent and no condensation would fall back into the copper (along with undesirable DMS). No additional stack would be required.

I have been designing and installing vapour condensers since 1993. If you would like further information please contact mike@michaelgeorgeassociates.com

Regards
                  Michael George

Comment

And I would not recommend a condenser. Everyone I've ever used gave a very poor evaporation rate and wasted a lot of water. That said, I did once see a German design that looked decent because it was fan assisted. I suspect that would greatly improve the evaporation rate but I'd still prefer a fan assisted stack to the roof. Here in Bangalore I had my 10" stack and fan (Greenheck) sent over from the US with my tanks because I knew they would be hard or impossible to source locally. Really glad I did too. We have the best evaporation rate in town (+10%).
                    Last edited by tringali; 12-02-2012, 04:47 AM.
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Ed Tringali
                    Brewmaster ~ Consultant
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                    X