Top Vs. Side manway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Vs. Side manway

Just wondering how many pro-brewers are fermenting in top manway fermenters. If it had to be a standard manway(non-shadowless)would you prefer it on the side or the top of the tank?
    Zach Henry
    St. Elias Brewing company
    Soldotna, AK
    www.steliasbrewingco.com

Side pros: You can see inside easily. Top pros: Easier to clean when it's above the krausen line. Easy to add yeast, dry hops, or whatever you want when filled. For large vessels, I'll take top manways. For small micros, side. Good luck!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

If you find yourself inside a tank and you start to feel woozy from CO2, the side manway is more inviting than looking up at the manway that you are losing strength to get back up to.
      Consider safety whichever choice you end up with.

Comment

Right. IF you plan on going in a tank, then for sure make it a side manway. That being said, NEVER GO INSIDE A TANK! First of all I don't think it is necessary (except maybe welding). Second, it is against OSHA regulations unless you have extensive training, positive ventilation, a buddy with a life line, amongst other requirements of confined space entry. Third, I don't do it because I'm probably bigger than the manway! Those who jump tanks are invited to tell me why they do it. My two bits.
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

manways

I agree...... climbing inside a tank for whatever reason sucks !

One of the previous breweries I worked for had manways on the top. We never had to climb in to clean it. We'd just open up the manway and attach the spray ball for the CIP.

Nowadays I'm using fermenters with a side manway and a built in spray ball which unfortunately has a dead spot on top which sometimes doesn't come clean which means I have to jump in and have a look (after cleaning of course)........

Tariq (Big Ridge Brewery)
          Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
          Vancouver, B.C.
          Canada

Comment

open fermentation?

Possibly stupid observation here, but wouldn't a top manway lend itself to use as a pseudo-open fermenter? It would seem ideal if you were inclined to top crop as well.

Apart from ease of access and the suffocation death that may entail, I can't think of another reason to go with a side over a top. You might even save a bit of money if you're having a tank custom fabricated (since a top manway doesn't usually intersect the jacketing).

Comment

Working...
            X