Getting our Glycol down to correct temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting our Glycol down to correct temperature

We have been having problems with our tanks not getting down to the correct temperature. I am certainly not a refrigeration expert, but I will try to explain our problem the best I can.

We have 4, 20 bbl fermenting tanks, and one 15 bbl bright tank. We have a 5ton chiller located on our rooftop that chill's our glycol. We have a stainless steel vessel located in the brewhouse that holds our glycol. That is where the pump is located as well. Right now we have our glycol diluted to 33% propylene glycol, and 66% water. I did not do the original mixing of the solution, but any suggestions on mixing ratios would be helpful. Can I measure my current mixture by taking a brix reading on the solution?

Our main problem right now is that we cannot get our bright tank cold enough. Our glycol reading on the rooftop chiller can read as high as 40F sometimes, and I know we need it at preferrably the upper 20's. Apparently our chiller should be able to handle the load. We have had refrigeration people come out here recently to check out our system and they claim everything is working properly. Any Suggestions Anyone???

Important Note: Our bright tank is not so good. It had some addition weld work done and the glycol does not flow freely in one direction, and all of our tnaks are NOT double jacketed. I know this also has an affect on our product getting down the the desired temperature for bottling. I would like my beer to be as cold as possible, and we can't even get fully carbonated beer into bottles right now. We have dried ice baths and even dryice, but the beer is at 45F and just won't go into bottles.
    Could it be our glycol mixture is off? Can our 5 ton chiller handle this load? What could be causing our glycol NOT to get below 38. I've seen it only once get into the lower 30's / upper 20's. ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
    Jon Christiansen
    Joseph James Brewing Company
    Henderson, NV

I just did a quick load estimate based on your brewery data and came up with a worse case load of about 30,000 BTU/HR. Our 5 HP unit will provide about 37,000 BTU/HR cooling capacity, so it appears that you are OK capacity wise. Then again I'm not sure what your chiller is rated for and how efficiently it is operating. If your service contractors went through it and say it is doing all it can do, then I'd guess you need more chiller capacity.

The 33/67 concentration is good, especially for an inside storage tank. You want the freeze point to be 20-25 F below your chiller set point- so if you have a glycol set point of 27 F, the freeze point should be in the +2 to +7 F range. There is a glycol freeze point chart that can be downloaded from our website that has a degree brix column. (http://www.prochiller.com/reGlycolChart.html) More glycol is not better, too high of a concentration inhibits heat exchange and will make the situation worse.

If your glycol temp reaches 40 F, this indicates your cooling load is greater than your chiller system capacity. If you shut off all of your tanks (take the load off the chiller) does the glycol tank temperature drop and reach the 27-28 range and the compressor shut off? Please explain more the comment about tanks not double jacketed? If you have exposed cooling jackets without cladding and insulation, it is likely that this is the reason you are overloading the chiller system and I'd suggest you insulate these as soon as possible. I'd contact an insulation contractor and get suggestions from them for the best materials and process to accomplish this.

Good luck,

Jim

Comment

As Jim posted, insulate your tanks ASAP. What is your supply line psi? Check your feed pump for correct rotation. I insulated our glycol reservoir until it looked like a giant marshmallow. That and extra fan support helped get our tank down to 30degreesF during the hottest days. Also did you "burp" your supply lines.
      Good luck. Will you make it to the Vegas to Reno Beer garden in August?
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X