Ipa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ipa

Any ideas on IPA? I am thinking about making an IPA, but I just can get 3 kind of malt, 60°L crystal, chocolate and base malt, how can I mix them to get it
    Hope you can help me
    Sincerely

Ipa's are more about the hops. Your malts are easy. base malt and some 60L for color. I would mash a little high (155F) for a little more body and go to town with your hops.

Mike
    Mike Pensinger
    General Manager/Brewmaster
    Parkway Brewing Company
    Salem, VA

Comment

Ipa

How many crystal 60°L and IBU´s do u advice me to use?
      best regards

Comment

Maybe 3-6% 60L. I would shoot for around 5.5% ABV and 45IBU's to start. You are brewing in a country without wide spread disemination of hoppy beers so I dont think I would go overboard quite yet.

Mike
        Mike Pensinger
        Parkway Brewing Company
        Salem, VA

Comment

Ipa

Thanks a lot for your advice, I´ll try that and I´ll tell you about what happen
          bes regards

Comment

Originally posted by beermkr
            Ipa's are more about the hops. Your malts are easy. base malt and some 60L for color. I would mash a little high (155F) for a little more body and go to town with your hops.

Mike
            or conversely, you can use a west coast approach, mash cool (148-151), and limit/eliminate your specialty malts. IPA is a hop-focused beer, and there is certainly an argument to be made that "balance" really equals "distracts from the hops".
            John Gillooly
            Brewmaster
            Drake's Brewing Co.

Comment

The issue he has also is that he is brewing in Columbia so the predominate hop presence of a West Coast IPA may be a little much for a drinking set that is not used to it.

Plus I prefer a balanced beer with LOTS of hop character, not just overpowering bitterness....

Mike
              Mike Pensinger
              Parkway Brewing Company
              Salem, VA

Comment

West Coast...

Funny, really.
                Most West Coast IPAs that I have had are more sugary than the ones that I enjoy on the east coast - despite your suggestion of mashing low and going how forward....

Comment

Originally posted by grassrootsvt
                  Funny, really.
                  Most West Coast IPAs that I have had are more sugary than the ones that I enjoy on the east coast - despite your suggestion of mashing low and going how forward....
                  I'm thinking more along the lines of the Russian River IPAs and some of the other newer models.
                  John Gillooly
                  Brewmaster
                  Drake's Brewing Co.

Comment

I don't think a hop monster like a Pliny would be well accepted. I'd stay more in line with a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for bitterness.

Comment

Ipa

How many IBU´s are we talking about?Ussually my beers are around 20 - 25 IBU´s

Comment

For an Americam Pale Ale like Sierra Nevada, ~55 IBU's max.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott M
                          I don't think a hop monster like a Pliny would be well accepted. I'd stay more in line with a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for bitterness.
                          I'm not proposing a Pliny clone - I am proposing the inspiration of making a lean, hop-forward beer - 14.5 Plato, 35 IBU, cool (148-151) mash, finish-hopped at about a pound/barrel. I am proposing it as an alternative to making a more "balanced" IPA.
                          John Gillooly
                          Brewmaster
                          Drake's Brewing Co.

Comment

Ipa

About the blend
                            % 2 row base malt?
                            % crystal 60°L?
                            % chocolate?
                            I know IPA is bitter than Pale Ale, so how many IBU´s do u advice me to get?

Comment

Sounds good!! I'll have to create a recipe around those numbers and give it a try!! I was shooting at a mash in at 150 deg., 13-14 Plato, 10 SRM, 55 IBU IPA, my taste. God, I love making beer!!

Comment

Working...
                              X