Keeping yeast in suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping yeast in suspension

Looking for some advice for keeping the proteins/yeasts in suspension in hefeweizen when on tap. Any ideas which adhere to Reinheitsgebot are more valuable than advice about additives, but I still would like to know what some folks are adding, if that is the case.

Thanks!

a lot of pub breweries serve out of 1/2 bbl kegs and store them upside-down, and only right them when they are ready to be tapped.

Some that serve out of a uni-tank re-rouse the yeast with a shot of CO2 through the drain once in a while.

or so I've heard.

el

Comment

I know about storing kegs upside-down, but I'm talking more about the brewing process.

Comment

There's nothing you can do in the brewing process that will affect the yeast/protein suspension in the beer, short of increasing the final gravity. This would have the effect of slowing the sedimentation, but also making it virtually undrinkable.

You must be aware of the practice of German bartenders swirling the last few millilitres in the bottle to get the sediment into the beer.

El mocoso's method is the only way.

WJ
        Last edited by Whistlingjack; 03-11-2009, 04:11 AM.

Comment

I used a product from Wyeast in one batch last year but felt it left an after flavor or extra bitterness to it. Went back to storing kegs upside down.
          Frank Kassik
          Kassik's Kenai Brew Stop

Comment

How about adding some wheat flour to your kettle? I don't think that would cross any beer purity lines, and you'd be adding plenty of otherwise problematic proteins that should add turbidity, even in small amounts.
            Geoff DeBisschop
            Evolution Craft Brewing Company
            Delmar, DE

Comment

Heard that

I have heard of that, more so with homebrewers and (allegedly) at the nation's largest hefeweizen brewery (rumor?). How much would you recommend per barrel??

Comment

I used to brew a wit that we would get knocked for it not being cloudy enough. We started adding tanal A and that did the trick.

Comment

I have not tried adding flour, but have heard it recommended to homebrewers several times. The usual recommendation is 1 T flour per 5 gallon batch, which would be 6 T per barrel.
                  -Lyle C. Brown
                  Brewer
                  Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

Flour addition

We tried the flour addition for our unfiltered wheat and after weeks of storage in package we found little difference in comparison to our standard batch.

We have found some success with using some unmalted wheat. It adds an extra touch of haze, but not a substantial change.

Comment

You may want to look into wheat starch or even malted wheat starch.

Do you filter your beer at all?

Pax.

Liam
                      Liam McKenna
                      www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Working...
                      X