Making Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Plates

I know very little about brewery lab work and don't have a lab, but was looking into maybe making my own plates to test for beer spoilage organisms. My question is what equipment do I need? Crosby and baker sells the media and I assume I can get plates from a lab supply place. Then what? Do I need an autoclave or pressure cooker, an incubator? What is the process?

Thanks
    Tim

Originally posted by gallon
    I know very little about brewery lab work and don't have a lab, but was looking into maybe making my own plates to test for beer spoilage organisms. My question is what equipment do I need? Crosby and baker sells the media and I assume I can get plates from a lab supply place. Then what? Do I need an autoclave or pressure cooker, an incubator? What is the process?

Thanks
    Tim
    Give the fine folks at the Brewing Science Institute a shout (www.brewingscience.com). They will be able to tell you EVERYTHING you need to know.
    Prost!
    Dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

In addition, BSI sells pre-loaded plates. They arrive sealed and sterile, and all you have to do is swipe a swab on them. Good way to track down the source of any infection you might have in your system.
      -Lyle C. Brown
      Brewer
      Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

In addition BSI has a good basic lab manual here.
        Cheers & I'm out!
        David R. Pierce
        NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
        POB 343
        New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Working...
        X