Flaked wheat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flaked wheat?

Anyone out there using flaked wheat in your wheat ales? Just wanted some feedback on this product please. From what I have read on the Weyermann website was it will produce a cloudier wheat and have more wheat flavor. Hmmmm... How about some facts from folks that have used it??? Percentages and thoughts would be appreciated!!

Flaked Wheat

It's a fun little grain. High extract, lots of bread and pasta flavors, and it will give a ridiculous amount of head retention. One thing to note about it is that it will leave a beer extremely cloudy if used up to 40%. We use it in a Wit, as about 20%, and it doesn't leave the beer particularly hazy after four weeks.

All told, its quite useful. Just remember that it doesn't contribute to FAN levels of the wort, so try to make sure that malts constitute at least 12P of your gravity. Honestly, our Wit is only 12.8P, so we get pretty poor cell growth due to low FAN levels, so I guess I don't have too much room to speak.

Happy Brewing,
    Bill

Comment

Thought I would revive an old post. What is FAN? Are you saying that unmalted wheat or torrified (dif???) will not contribute fermentable sugars? On my spec sheet, it states that it's fermentable 75% F.G. extract. If I wanted my final product to be 12.5 P, are you saying (for ex) that if 200# of base malt would give me 12.5 P, I would only count that as 60% of the grain bill, because the 40% unmalted wheat will not spike that number one bit? I would still have to add 120# of unmalted wheat? That's an awful lot of malt. Sorry, I'm confused.

Also, wwhat other malts would one recommend using in a Wit beer. We don't want color, so what is "acceptable?"

Comment

FAN = free amino nitrogen, products of malting that include amino acids and peptides required for healthy yeast reproduction and metabolism. This is why you can't get a good fermentation with sugar alone.

You will get plenty of sugar from flaked grains so long as you don't exceed your malt's diastatic power.

If you don't want to use flaked grain, you can add malted wheat instead.

Comment

I think you will have some clarity issues if you go over 10 - 15% flaked wheat. Not usually something to worry about with wheat beers.

I've been using flaked wheat instead of flaked barley in my stouts for several years and am very pleased with the change. It gives a nice bready/grainy flavor, incredible head retention and seems more stable than flaked barley.

Comment

Working...
          X