Rotating arm for a kettle drain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotating arm for a kettle drain?

Is anybody using an adjustable racking arm in their kettle for material separation ? I've been trying to figure out if this is a sensible option, and I've come up with a few reasons it isn't:

-rotating fittings are particularly dangerous when it comes to boiling wort
    -protruding parts can cause turbulence in a whirlpool
    -may not be any more effective than a good whirlpool with a standard drain
    -a standard drain may also be needed to fully empty the vessel

Thoughts, anyone? Hopefully I haven't concocted the question so stupid no one will answer it.
    Last edited by Vendetta; 04-21-2009, 10:24 AM. Reason: clarity

Hot Racking Arms

You did a good job assessing why it might not be a good idea. The hot danger of 200+ f wort is real and so are your other concerns. I prefer a multi port method of first pulling the wort from the whirlpool inlet until it approaches that level and then moving down to lower ports (I use a standpipe from the bottom for the last good wort).

Comment

After working on both types of kettles several times, I have to say that it is INFINITELY more desirable to have your outlet located vertically on the bottom of your kettle as opposed to horizontally, on the side, at the bottom. The former drains completely and quickly. The latter won't. An exception is when the latter is lowered via a well in the bottom floor of the kettle. This would also weigh in against your racking arm approach. I second Canyon's technique of using the whirlpool to draw off the initial 1/2-2/3 or so of the wort.
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
      X