Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air bubble in glycol lines?

Hi,

I have two open topped 10bbl fermenters cooled by a closed loop glycol line. There are two 3/4 hp pumps which move the glycol. Normally if an air bubble pops up somewhere, I can open the release valve and it would find its way out.

Right now, my glycol lines are "breathing" air is being sucked in from somewhere and then expelled. I have never seen this before. The glycol cannot move because it gets pushed a little, then pulled back a little.

Any suggestions?

Patrick Fiori
    Clocktower Brewpub

Have you checked the reservoir? Something similar happened to me, and it was because there was a small glycol leak in one of the lines. Eventually the pump started sucking air.
    Troy Robinson
    Quirk Brewing
    Walla Walla

Comment

Check pump inlet/connections. Also check pump face for leaks (turn it off and watch it). Check glycol reservoir outlet (pump feed) to ensure it is not blocked.

You may have a blockage somewhere in your glycol loop. Can you drain the glycol and check flow with city water through the lines?

Good luck.

Pax.

Liam
      Liam McKenna
      www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

In addition to Liam's suggestions, if the problem has only recently shown up, you may have a slowly failing seal on the glycol pump... leaking seals can manifest as liquid leaks or as air being pulled into the system, depending on the system dynamics - often the seal area is under a slight vacuum and a leak will pull in air.

Hope this helps
        Brandon
        --
        Brandon Smith
        Project Engineer
        Sierra Nevada Brewing Company
        Chico, CA

Comment

Working...
        X