Hop vine thinning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hop vine thinning

As my hops begin the climb up the trellis, do I need only one vine or can I let a second vine "piggyback" on the mature taller unit. It looks as if this off shoot is from the main vine.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by nohandslance
    As my hops begin the climb up the trellis, do I need only one vine or can I let a second vine "piggyback" on the mature taller unit. It looks as if this off shoot is from the main vine.
    I would let the second one twist up the first , maybe even a third if it comes up, but after that, snip them off at the ground, save the energy for the strong ones.
    www.beerontheriver.com

Comment

I do 2 or 3 per string, depending on variety. Something I experimented with last year a bit, and will do more with this year, is cutting all additional growth for the next month, but after June 1st allow late bines to climb so I can get a second or even 3rd harvests.

I'm just on my 2nd year now (30 plants total) and the amount of pruning I've had to do on the ground this year has been pretty staggering! If I had another trellis, (and an extra 2 days a week to check on them!) I could have planted 100 or so cut vines and checked how well I could cultivate them from the vine.
      www.devilcraft.jp
      www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

Eat your trimmings. Enough may get you high.

Comment

I let two or three of the strongest use the same twine, they have no problems.

Mine are over 10 feet tall already, making use of the glorious spring we are having.

When they were breaking out I was eating the tender tips of the trimming. A handful in an omellete is nice...no buzz reported Come on Moonlight, is that BS?

Cheers,
          Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
          Chairman of the Beer
          Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
          Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
          W: www.lovibonds.com
          F: LovibondsBrewery
          T: @Lovibonds

Comment

Don't try this at work...

Hops are known to have "psychoactive properties" and their closest relative in the plant world is everyones favorite "herb".

I have even heard of people grafting the other root systems onto hops, but have my doubts about it actually working- it could make for a really neat dry hop if it actually worked as that other chemical is soluable in alcohol.
            Jeff Byrne

Comment

Rosie,
              Worked for me! Mild, but I felt something.
              Could have been more specific to the Cascades.

Comment

'grafting' does work Jephro.

Pax.

Liam
                Liam McKenna
                www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

why is it that brewers tend to know much more about some of this conversation than they probably should.........lol
                  www.beerontheriver.com

Comment

Did anyone try the pickled hop shutes at the CBC? They were delicious!! If you are a brewpub, and are growing hops, pickle the shutes and garnish a bloody mary with them.
                    Tim Butler

Empire Brewing Co.
                    Syracuse, NY

Comment

Thanks everyone: # 3 vine just started the climb.

Comment

Grafting only works if you put the "grafted' Plant on the rootstock of the Hops but the resins will not cross the graft and you still have a plant that might get you in trouble and not looking like a Hop Vine ....you also need to Graft from Hop seedlings so have fun finding viable Hop seeds .
                        Last edited by matthendry; 05-05-2009, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X