Square IBC totes as Serving Vessels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Square IBC totes as Serving Vessels

Has anyone ever heard of using an IBC square tote tank as a serving tank? Cost on these are very low so the question has come up - "Why don't we just use these as serving tanks?"

Has anyone done this? Everything I have found online says these are transport tanks and used for all kinds of liquids. So, all I need is a sprayball, racking arm, sight glass and carb stone port and I've got a serving tank, right?

My intuition tells me this won't work. Anybody have some facts to back up or disprove my intuition?

BTW, my biggest concern is PSI - these are certified to 15 PSI where most Serving Tanks are at 30 PSI.

Thanks,

Ken
    Ken McMullen
    Brewmaster
    Hopvine Brewing Company
    Aurora, IL 60504

President
    Midwest Brewers Fest
    Plainfield, IL

square tanks

Ken,
    I'm not so sure that "most" serving tanks are rated at 30 psi. Most i've seen and used are rated at 15 psi. I think this is mainly due to tank manufacturers having to pay more to have a tank certified to hold more than atmospheric pressure(14.7 psi). The only issue I could see would be the ability to clean a square tank, mainly the corners. It seems that the corners would be a vulnerable area for beer stone build up and i'm not so sure how well a spray ball would be able to thoroughly clean a tank of that shape. Other than that, if it has a co2 stone port (if you carbonate that way), I don't know any reason it wouldn't work. Just my $.0254(rounding up for inflation)
    Zach Henry
    St. Elias Brewing company
    Soldotna, AK
    www.steliasbrewingco.com

Comment

Pressure

Ken

I have not found a IBC tank that holds more than a couple of pounds of pressure. I think that is the reason ICB tanks are not used for beer. If you know of a source that sells pressure tanks please share.

Dan

Comment

Well, the shape per se shouldn't be a problem - I've seen plenty of CIP-able squares.

Are we talking about mild steel, plastic, stainless or what - most of the IBCs over here (UK) are the plas ones - lots of people use them for cheap&cheerful cold liquor tanks (hooky-up some cooling pipes using cellar remote coolers).

There's a UK brewery builder that sells plastic "round" fermenters (as well as SS ones), he says with no problem - http://www.pbcbreweryinstallations.c...yethelene.html

His arch-rival says they're a no-no though - http://www.mossbrew.pwp.blueyonder.c...ex.htm#plastic

I personally wouldn't go for plastic for either fermenter or CT/serving tank - SS just seems to be the right material. (he says having just bought 60 2nd-hand plastic Cypherco firkins! - the price was right, OK!? )
        Cheers,
        MikeMcG

Comment

Do you know what temperature ranges they are rated for?

Comment

Hi Ken,
            with you mentioning pressure, etc, I later realised you must have meant something different than the ordinary plastic-box-with-steel-cage IBC's that we mostly see over here.

I guess you're talking about ones like this -

(links to current Ebay listing - 300gal $1395)

However this one does have big signs on it saying "Caution do not pressurise this tank" & "This tank must be vented prior to discharge"
            cheers,
            MikeMcG.
            PS - have you heard of these British guys? - http://www.lymestonebrewery.co.uk/ They set up last year in "Stone", a Staffordshire town that has a very proud brewing heritage, including the wonderfully named Bent's & Joule's breweries.

Comment

Working...
            X