Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grundy Conversion to FV

Hi,

Once upon a time somebody told me that, in a pinch, you could convert a 7 bbl grundy tank to a fermenter. My take is that you wouldn't have the headspace for a full batch, and it isn't ideal but just might work for a small batch.
    We've been looking for used fermenters and it looks like there are so few on the market that we need to order some, but in the meantime might be worth a shot.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

K

I have used our old 7 BBL grundy servers to ferment saisons a few times when I wasn't too concerned about controlling fermentation temps. That would be the primary concern I would have in using them.

Comment

Lots of UK micros do this - some drop copper/steel cooling coils in, others use jacketed tanks & either simple manual or automatic attemporation (usually using pub cellar remote coolers).

In my experience, with right yeast choice, etc, you can brew c.4 - 4.5 UK-Bbl in them, no problem (a quick hop over to ProBrewer's handy Volume Calculator says that's about 5.5 - 6.25 US-Bbl).

At one place we used these tanks & SO4 yeast, as it doesn't tend to create a lot of head or yeast during the ferment.
      Cheers
      MikeMcG

Comment

and don't forget there's always FermCap!

Comment

Working...
        X