Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to change out a sani sink(parecetic)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to change out a sani sink(parecetic)?

The method currently is to change when cloudiness occurs or it doesn't smell very strong anymore.

I would like to use a pH meter to test for effectivness instead. I understand pH 2.0 is the normal range. How much deviation in the basic direction before it becomes less/ineffective?

Is there annother way to test?

Thanks

Killroy

You can get peracetic test strips, then adjust for your target ppm if it still looks clean. If not, dump it and start over, this method works well for us in our kegwasher.
    Paul Thomas
    Brewer
    Sockeye Brewing
    www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

I have the strips. Wikki says that the range for Peroxyacetic Acid is pH 3.0-7.5
      This seems like a pretty wide range. Also I have read that it is effective at a range of 0-40C (32-104F).

I also found this, which I can make no sense of:
      "However, pH and temperature do influence peractetic acid activity. Peracetic acid is more effective when the pH value is 7 than at a pH range between 8 and 9. At a temperature of 15 °C and a pH value of 7, five times more peracetic acid is required to affectively deactivate pathogens than at a pH value of 7 and a temperature of 35 °C"

I tested the pH at full strength: 1-2. I tested a sani sink that had been used lightly for 5 hours. 3.

Where can I get difinitive info. about the effective pH range of this sanitizer? Specificly; at what pH range do you dump and use fresh?

Thanks

Comment

pbutlert,

I just reread and "understood" your post. What is your target for a sani sink?

Comment

These are test strips for Peracetic acid, not ph test strips. They read Peracetic Acid ppm. I use the Birko Birk-Ox, and it is recommended to be at 82-197 ppm. I shoot for somewhere in the middle range. The strips come from LaMotte.
          Paul Thomas
          Brewer
          Sockeye Brewing
          www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

Working...
          X