Gelatin Finings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gelatin Finings

I am interested to know if any brewpub brewers are using gelatin to fine with. Also if they are using a bulk gelatin from one of the food suppliers like Sysco or US Foods.

Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Mike
    Mike Pensinger
    General Manager/Brewmaster
    Parkway Brewing Company
    Salem, VA

I have fined with gelatin, took a bit to dial in a good SOP but once i figured out what worked it worked well. It sure is a pain in the arse to clean-up if you spill and let it cool even a minute or two though.

I too am curious if there is a difference from generic food grade gelatin and the stuff brewery supply people sell us. Always wondered, but never bothered asked anyone. It sure smells and looks like unflavored jell-o... ?
    Last edited by Jephro; 05-08-2009, 11:11 PM.
    Jeff Byrne

Comment

Originally posted by Jephro View Post
      I have fined with gelatin, took a bit to dial in a good SOP but once i figured out what worked it worked well. It sure is a pain in the arse to clean-up if you spill and let it cool even a minute or two though.

I too am curious if there is a difference from generic food grade gelatin and the stuff brewery supply people sell us. Always wondered, but never bothered asked anyone. It sure smells and looks like unflavored jell-o... ?
      Knox gelatin is 225 bloom, and the stuff I get from BSG is 200 bloom. Bloom is a measure of gel strength, apparently. So if gelling is key to effectiveness as a fining, then the Knox stuff would presumably be better. However, my understanding is that gelatin's ability to attract particles is a function of molecular charge, and not necessarily physical gelling properties. It may also be that these two properties are closely related...at this point I don't know.

It occurred to me today that the water I'm mixing finings with is pH 8+... I correct water pH during Brewing only to ignore it at one of the final stages. Does anyone know if lowering the pH of the finings liquor will influence it's effectiveness?
      Jeff Drum - Brewer
      San Diego Brewing Co.

Comment

Working...
      X