The solar oil starts to rot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The solar oil starts to rot

I have been painted into a corner. Without getting into too much detail as to why, I must investigate the possibility of using hop oil. I have been opposed to this for several reasons (fortunately, I'm still in the investigative stage). Now I have a sample on the way from hop union, and several questions that they could not answer.

Does the use of hop oils kill head retention? Even in small doses?

Does exposure to sunlight cause it to go rancid quickly? If so, are bottles out of the question? I wouldn't want my bottles exposed to light to begin with, but how touchy is this stuff? They say that beers will eventually develop a film on them as a result of using oil.

Is it not illegal to add additional alcohol to beer? Why use everclear to dissolve it? If it's a question of soluability, couldn't I use propelyne glycol as an emulsifyer? (Yet another reason I am opposed to this stuff.)

Does ANYONE on this forum actually use this stuff with success?
    Maybe so, maybe not!

Reduced hop products can actually increase foam stability. A light-stable kettle extract for bittering should give you a slight advantage, but don't count on it. Always count on your ingredient concentration and processing/handling routines first. Aroma oils might undo whatever advantage the kettle extract offers.

Overall, hops work out as foam positive, oil content notwithstanding. Using hop components broken down to their constituents should result in a "push" if you are careful, at least in terms of foam retention. Flavour is another matter.

I have experimented with these products and declined to adopt them. I tasted a subtle "processed" character in the end. Could be my own prejudices at work; it was subtle -- possibly imaginary. But I have never lost money trusting my palate, so that was that.

If I were forced to use them, I would. But I would not be pleased.

Wishing you luck.

Comment

Whatever you do, take care of your shoes.
      Keith Brainard
      Brainard Brewing
      Brewery in Planning

Comment

We used RHO in the kettle at the last place I worked, and if anything, I would guess that it helped. We got great foam stability, and the ability to add bitterness without specific hop character (or vegetal mass in your kettle) has much appeal in the flexibility department.

Comment

Working...
        X