Water Profiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Profiles

Hey everyone. I'm trying to get ahold of the water profile for Denmark and or Norway and Sweden. Anyone out there have anything? Thanks!

Darin

I would not expect a single profile to be valid for any single country, let alone all three. So any profile is likely to be reelvant to that area only, and that again depends on whether you are getting well water or surface water.
    dick

Comment

What Dick said. The profiles from a single river will change along its course due to the various discharge treatments and purification treatments from communities upstream. You need to consult the specific treatment facility serving the location you are interested in.

[Edit] I should have added, there are numerous "water profiles" published online and in software like ProMash and BeerSmith. These are completely unreliable.

Popular published "Dublin water profile"
      Calcium: 115.0 ppm
      Sulfate: 55.0 ppm
      Magnesium: 4.0 ppm
      Chloride: 19.0 ppm
      Sodium: 12.0 ppm
      Bicarbonate: 200.0 ppm
      PH: 8.0

What comes out of my tap in Dublin
      Calcium: 19.0 ppm
      Sulfate: 35.0 ppm
      Magnesium: 2.0 ppm
      Chloride: 25.0 ppm
      Sodium: 0 ppm
      Bicarbonate: 33.0 ppm
      PH: 8.0

There are three treatment plants serving Dublin alone; all the water is from the same river, but there are three different source locations along it, and three different treatment regimens -- and yes, three different water profiles (none of which comes close to matching the published one above, btw).

You have got to know the address where you intend to brew, and consult the local authority. That will put you in the ballpark. Then you need to have the tap water analysed independently. Because what goes into the city mains and what comes out of your tap might be quite different again.
      Last edited by wiredgourmet; 05-25-2009, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Copenhagen

I can assist you with the typical water profile for the city of Copenhagen. Are you a brewer located in Scandinavia? I am not sure why you would want the water profile for 3 very different countries... unless you were writing a book or brewing within one of those countries...?

Comment

Working...
        X