Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batch 100; What to Do?

Just a general question:

Im coming up on making my 100th professional batch as a head brewer (man how time flies!) so Im debating what to make. Should I make huge brew with 10.0% ABV and 100 IBU's, do I do my first beer ever, do I do my favorite, or simply whatever the schedule calls for and just name it appropriatly.

So anyway, Im just looking for feedback on how any of you made the decision on what to make for a landmark brew. (100th, anniversary, first award winner, etc.)

FYI, Ive already done "Anniversary Ale" which was a re-do of my first beer ever brewed on my own here, "Franks First" since Ive been at this location for one year already.

Thanks in advance!
    Cheers!

Uncle Frank
    "Uncle" Frank
    Frank Fermino
    Brewer I, Redhook, Portsmouth, NH
    Writer, Yankee Brew News, New England
    Wise-ass, Everywhere, Always

That's a big milestone. I have know idea what I did for mine. It all depends on how much the brewer plays plays a role in the marketing. A pub brewer that has a strong following or a micro that bottles shoud pay attentioin to these thing. I personally don't do batch specials but... Hell yes ramp up a big 12 ABV ? IBU barley wine. throw it in some casks, bottle condition several cases, get a cool lable, wait 6 months and sell it for bank! Or, make a 40% rice low carb beer. I go for the former.

Comment

+1 for a big, hoppy Barleywine. Barrel aging is a great idea, if you have the space.
      -Lyle C. Brown
      Brewer
      Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

While I'm all for a big barleywine or something equally mind-blowing, perhaps designing a beer that highlights the skills that you have acquired or the finesse that you've learned over the last 99 batches would be in order. That's not to say that delicacy is not a component of a massive barleywine. It's just something to think about. I find something edifying in pushing my own skill limit every once in while. I definitely learn where the holes are.

Cheers,
        Bill

PS - I just looked up "edifying" to make sure that I didn't come across as an idiot by using the wrong word. Merriam-Webster says it generally connotes increasing one's religious enlightenment. I think that's appropriate here.

Comment

2 words: tea bag

Comment

highlight what ive learned, eh

maybe go for a very difficult beer, like a cask conditioned Pilsner, or get two for one if I can figure a way to do a party gyle. Those have been the 2 most interesting things for me this past year. ive fallen in love with making casks and the party gyle idea is cool, but I dont have a good set up to do it.
            "Uncle" Frank
            Frank Fermino

Comment

Originally posted by BMXFRANK
              maybe go for a very difficult beer, like a cask conditioned Pilsner, or get two for one if I can figure a way to do a party gyle. Those have been the 2 most interesting things for me this past year. ive fallen in love with making casks and the party gyle idea is cool, but I dont have a good set up to do it.
              Perhaps a Bock strength Keller-style Czech Pilsner? I bet it would be very interesting on cask.
              Fighting ignorance and apathy since 2004.

Comment

ok..

Ok, 100 brews....now your on to lambics!!!! Just kidding! Congrats! How about a Flanders Red?

Geoff Logan

Comment

my clientel doesnt go for the sour beers. Id love to try it but it'll just sit here.
                  "Uncle" Frank
                  Frank Fermino

Comment

The Century Club

I did a strong Belgian-style amber ale, which was 10% ABV. I based it on the grist for our Altbier, but made it around 21 plato. Used a triple blend of Belgian yeasts... soooo yummy! Just placed a Silver in the LA Int'l Beer Competition. Whatever you do, just put a lot of thought into it.

What has been your customers favorite beer?

What has been your favorite beer? - This is where I focused. After all, this is a celebration of all of our hard work and dedication to our craft. Why not reward yourself with what you want? Your customers will surely love it, knowing how special it is to their brewer.

"Beer for the Greater Good"

Comment

Jamie,
                      Congratulations! Glad to hear it turned out well.
                      I'll be in Dallas to get hitched this November, I'll have to try and make it over to lift a pint.
                      Keep it up!
                      Fighting ignorance and apathy since 2004.

Comment

Make it Big and Hoppy

Simply said 100 ibu / Og 100 !! (ie. 25 plato)
                        Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
                        tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
                        "Your results may vary"

Comment

thanks and results

Just wanted to say thanks for all the input and suggestions and let y'all know what happened.

What I ended up doing was 2 beers, parti-gyle style. Used all Pilsner malt and made a Belgian strong by running off the first 3 bbls and boiled it with Styrian. When transfering to the fermenter I set the tank at 100 degrees and just let it run. If it gets really high it'll be a Saison, if it hovers around 75 it'll be Tripple. Either one I will be very happy with!

Since I dont have a proper set up for a party-gyle I took a risk and challanged myself to keep the remaining mash warm and circulating while boiling the first. If it had started to sour I would have run off a little and made a belgian sour. However having the hot liquor tank underneath the mash tun was an unexpected help and actually brought the temp up! This worked out well.

Once the 18 plato beer was done and transfered I ran off another 7 bbls. Surprised at how high the gravities were I was planning on 5 but was able to keep going. Perhaps the extended mash converted everything possible. Anyway, tossed a bunch of Saaz in that one, boiled for 90 minutes down to about 6 bbls, and used lager yeast for it fermenting at 50. That will be called "Party-Pils" (parti-gyle pilsner) if all holds form. So far everything looks good and taste as it should. We will see in a couple of weeks.

It was a veeeeeerrrrrrryyyyyyy long brew day but worth it to mark a special brew. So thanks again. If interested in final results feel free to e-mail me. Cheers!
                          "Uncle" Frank
                          Frank Fermino

Comment

Working...
                          X