Washing bottles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing bottles

Anyone have any leads on equipment or solutions for washing and re-using your bottles? We've got a 4 head meheen so we'd like to get something that can put out 40-80 cleaned and de-labeled bottles per minute.

Thanks in advance for your help.

This is a machine that was extracted running from Labatt’s on a small line.

Have a look at the Klinger and let me know what you think!

If you have questions contact:

Andy Fraser
    Moonstone Mechanical Inc.

afraser@moonstonemechanical.com
    800-205-8170
    705-327-5300
    705-327-5312 fax
    705-733-7914 cell

Comment

Almost all beer distributed in Germany is returnable bottles. All German equipment makers and used equipment dealer who have contacts to Europe should be able to help you out on this one.

Having worked in Germany in the beverage industry for many years, this decision must be weighed out very carefully. Not to deter you, but there are lots of aspects of returnable bottles (or re-using bottles) and the machinery involved in cleaning used bottles that must be considered.

Comment

I'm curious if anything has been developed but it seems unlikely. You'll notice the "18 wide" on the machine listed above. Given a minimum running speed of 10 dumps/minute your looking at 180/min minimum. I have seen some old pop machines at 12 wide (Brick had one but it still ran at 120/min minimum) and a number of great Euro (German & Swedish) machines at 24 wide (Creemore & Steamwhistle in Ontario).

You are asking for a washer for a market that has never had need for it. The US market where the Meheen was developed has no need until a greener, reuseable and most-of-all cost effective need develops and we are no where near that. Cans are 60-70% of the market in the US, BC and Alberta and growing daily in the east.

If you are using the industry standard bottle, the problems of getting bottles in a workable quantity are reasonable but you have all the other problems of transportation (fuel) cost, bugs/bacteria entering the brewery, unrecyclable cardboard waste, large liquid effluent containing halogens & cost and massive labour cost in comparison. If you are using your own bottle, the costs get worse. The green movement might drive small washers as an alternative but I'm not sure the scrutiny of a real environmentalist will prove its value.

If the liner of cans gets banned worldwide because of BPA or some other toxic ingredient, then the game will definitely swing in its favour and machines will become plentiful. The heavier, washable crown finish bottle in Europe works because of short round trip distances and reuseable cases that allow automation.

Comment

Working...
        X