Storage of Milled Malt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage of Milled Malt

Does anyone have experience with storage of milled malt in a grist case? Due to various reasons, we had to call off a brew day. Unfortunately, we called it off AFTER we milled the grain. So, now we have 800 lbs of milled grain in our grist case AND we can't brew again for at least 10 days. Some helpful information:

1. SS Grist case is fairly well sealed from moisture and light via weather stripping.
    2. Ambient temp in grain room is 75F
    3. When we brew again in 10 days, we'll 2x batch using the pre-milled malt for the first batch and freshly milled grain for the second batch and ferment in one unitank.

We typically pre-mill our malt the night before and mash in the next morning or within 12 hours. 10 days is another matter and I can't find any information in my reference books relating to storage of pre-milled grains in other than the pre-sealed bags. Obviously, we're concerned with moisture, mold, etc.

So, anyone have experience using pre-milled grain that has sat in a grist case (again, fairly well protected from moisture pickup via the surrounding air) for a week or more?

Cheers,

Matt

No Worries

Not the most ideal situation, but I wouldn't worry about it too much in my brewery. I would think that maybe the top inch of grist may stale, but below that is should be minimal, depending on humidity. There are breweries that buy premilled malt, you're a huge step above that already!

"Beer for the Greater Good"

Comment

Working...
    X