Filtration Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filtration Issues

I have a Della ECP 2sq filter. A couple weeks ago, the seals went on the dosing pump, the orange o-rings. I replaced them, and now I am not getting any dosing at all. In fact, when I open the dosing pump suction valve, the dosing tank fills with beer and overflows I have no idea why it is doing this. It builds a nice DE cake in the dome, but the beer that I filtered yesterday is still hazy. I use hyflo for the body feed, then some 512, and the 512 for the dosing tank. I only filter one beer (kolsch), 14 BBLs at a time with a pretty flocculant yeast, so I try not to use too much filter media to save some cash. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get my pump to dose, and if my DE schedule is ok? I was getting clear beer in the past, but since I have changed the o-ings in the pump, im not.
    Tim Butler

Empire Brewing Co.
    Syracuse, NY

Sorry if I'm asking the obvious, but the o-rings on the dosing pump are actually U-cups right? If so you might want to make they're in the right way as direction makes a big difference.

Comment

If the u-cups are the large orange rings that the plunger goes into, then yes. Hmmm...is it possible I put them in wrong? Yes. BUt I thought I matched them to the old ones. Should I just take them out on switch ed around and see what happens? It also makes a cavitating sound when I open the suction valves, could this indicate backward u-cups?
      Tim Butler

Empire Brewing Co.
      Syracuse, NY

Comment

Tim
        It sounds like you put the dosing pump piston housing in upside down, there are check valves top and bottom this will reverse the flow. The u-cups should be put in with the open side toward the back of the housing. Also make sure the piston has not lost its coating because this will make the piston stick and leak.

Tom

Comment

Working...
        X