question about milk sugar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about milk sugar

Made a milk stout. Ihave had a couple of people ask me if people who are lactose intollarant can have it. Im saying no because even though its boiled, the lactose is a non-fermentable milk based sugar and therefore should still be in solution. Am I wrong in this assumption?

Frank
    "Uncle" Frank
    Frank Fermino
    Brewer I, Redhook, Portsmouth, NH
    Writer, Yankee Brew News, New England
    Wise-ass, Everywhere, Always

I think you ought to consult an MD on that question, not brewers. All I know about it is that yeast do not metabolise lactose, so you end up with about the same amount that you start with.

Comment

I don't think it matters whether it is in solution or not. Lactose is lactose, and those who are lactose intolerant lack the enzyme to digest it, which leads to it being fermented further down in the digestive track instead.
      As Wired points out, this is a better question for an MD, not brewers.
      -Lyle C. Brown
      Brewer
      Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

Let's put it this way - I don't drink anything with lactose in it, be it untreated milk or beer. Shame because I used to like some of the milk stouts even though they were / are a bit sweet

Stick to saying no if asked, because people respond differently to it, and / or to different levels of lactose. Let the consumer decide on the basis they have the information, and then it is up to them.

I don't know what the level of lactose in milk is for example, but I wouldn't mind betting the beer has more in it.
        dick

Comment

Originally posted by BMXFRANK
          Made a milk stout. Ihave had a couple of people ask me if people who are lactose intollarant can have it. Im saying no because even though its boiled, the lactose is a non-fermentable milk based sugar and therefore should still be in solution. Am I wrong in this assumption?

Frank
          Definitely not, you're completely right... there will most definitely still be lactose in the stout and as such most definitely not suitable for people who are lactose intolerant.

Either that or you tell them to try it and see...

Comment

Ok, I also make a Milk Stout. Here's a story for you, that should clear this up:

Had a customer that comes in just about every day, He was with his wife and had a couple or three IPA's then moved into our 8.5% Imperial Milk stout had a few of those and then I think he switched back to IPA. Anyways wife drove him home that night where he proceeded to throw up. He told her it had to be the milk stout because he was lactose intolerent. She just thought he had too much beer. He came back a few nights later just had two pints of the milk stout.. went home and threw up again!! Needless to say he dosent drink the milk stout anymore he sticks to the IPA! I guess anyone can have a different reaction, but I play it on the safe side and tell those folks to stay away from it.

Cheers,

Kyle

Comment

no need for a doctor

Im thinking I dont need to ask a physician. Multiple hurling incidents is enough proof for me. No milk = No Milk Stout. I gotta say though, that must have been a damn good beer for him to drink it again knowing he was going get sick! HAHA!! Thanks guys.
              "Uncle" Frank
              Frank Fermino
              Brewer I, Redhook, Portsmouth, NH
              Writer, Yankee Brew News, New England
              Wise-ass, Everywhere, Always

Comment

Originally posted by kylesmi
                Needless to say he dosent drink the milk stout anymore he sticks to the IPA! I guess anyone can have a different reaction, but I play it on the safe side and tell those folks to stay away from it.

Cheers,

Kyle
                Thats a crazy reaction for sure, havent heard that one. Milk Stout has lactose in it, no need to refer to doctors on that one. Tell the intolerant to stay away...

Comment

Working...
                X