Fresh Ginger In Beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh Ginger In Beer

I am looking for info. on how to use fresh ginger root in a commerical brew. Most important is the amount per bbl.. I want this to be a background taste,not the whole show. The root would be(I think)added like finsh hops about 5-10 min. before knockout. HELP ME BREW BROTHERS AND SISTERS!!!
    Last edited by Rick Mayer; 02-15-2004, 02:50 PM.

Left Hand Brewing Co. is the only brewery I know of that has brewed a Ginger beer in my area. They have brewed this beer for quite some time now, it is a regular in a 22 oz. bottle and is very available in Colorado. In my opinion this is a wonderful beer. I also know that they use fresh ginger. Listed below is there contact information there web site is being rebuilt at this time. Good luck, I would love to here how it turns out. Mike Hall

Left Hand/Tabernash Brewing Co
    1265 Boston Ave
    Longmont, CO USA
    phone: 303-772-0258
    Mike Hall

Comment

I've always used about 3/4's of a pound of fresh grated ginger root in seven barrels. Using a cheese cloth bag, I add the ginger during the last two minutes of the boil and leave it in the kettle for the rest and whirlpool. This gives subtle but definitely noticeable results.
      BrewerTL

Comment

I have the luxury of a hopback on my 7 BBL system. I have used 0.5 to 0.75 lbs of fresh ginger. The ginger is sliced thinly and added in with the hops during kettle knockout in the hopback. The level of perceived ginger is somewhat dependent on the beer style. Mine was an IPA and the flavor level was medium spice and fairly mellow, but definately a noticable level. Great aroma!

Steve

Comment

ginger

We ran ours in a commercial juicer (nice to have a fresh juice company nearby) and added juice and pulp straight to the kettle at knockout. We had a large hopback which strained the pulp, but if you have no back, bag it.

We used quite a bit more than anyone has recommended per barrel, but this was in a barleywine and the ginger flavor mellowed after two or three years to an acceptable level. At bottling it was hot to taste.

You might try calling 1-800-997-3337

Good Luck.

Comment

Ginger Root Article

Hello,
            Here is a great article on ginger root and it's health benefits as well
            Ginger Root Article

Comment

Ginger in beer

I have never used ginger in a commercial batch, but Jim Fishwild used to brew a fantastic Ginger Wheat beer at the Harrison Hollow brewery in Boise, ID. I believe he is still there; At least the brewery is. Worth a phone call anyway(sorry I do not have their contact info.).
              Paul Thomas
              Brewer
              Sockeye Brewing
              www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

Ginger

I actually did some homebrews with ginger where I used it as a Dry Hop and it came out extremely nice! I have never done it commercially so no help with amounts but it is more delicate and spicy as a dryhop (I did it Both ways). One possibility would be to rack off into a corny with freshh ginger and add back to taste. Obviously this would only be practical on a small batch. Ginger can be easily over done so be careful. Im sure you could adjust flavor with a concentrated "Tea" as well. Definately post your results.Far too often people give and apply advice without posting the results (GUILTY).
                Big Willey
                "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

Working...
                X