How may times can you repitch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How may times can you repitch.

I use yeast from Whitelabs and they are great.
    I repitch the yeast, I take it from the conical bottom from the CCT.
    And I pitch it, direct into the another beer.
    I do not wash the yeast or something like that.
    The first trup from the bottom I always remove and then I use the Yeast.
    I hear stories from 6 time repithing to 30 times ???

Thanks,
    Kees

I repitch about 13 generations before I replace it. I don't notice any product alterations in the later-pitched batches, I just think 13 is enough.
    I don't acid wash. I store my yeast in (wait for it!)....my FV cone (HORROR!) and have done so for years. It works for me. I don't recommend it for everyone.
    Prost!
    dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

The number of repitchings depends on the yeast. Lager yeasts and ale strains that don't flock out well, you can get maybe 10 generations. Using WLP001 American Ale yeast I have repitched over 30 times with out any noticable differences. I know of one brewer who won a gold medal at an international competition for a Blonde ale with American Ale yeast that was on 40 plus generations. you just need to be as sanitary as possible when repitching and if you notice any off flavors starting to show up, get a new batch.

Jim Lieb

Comment

Originally posted by GlacierBrewing
        I repitch about 13 generations before I replace it. I don't notice any product alterations in the later-pitched batches, I just think 13 is enough.
        I don't acid wash. I store my yeast in (wait for it!)....my FV cone (HORROR!) and have done so for years. It works for me. I don't recommend it for everyone.
        Prost!
        dave
        What's the time that the yeast stays in the FV cone. ?

Kees

Comment

Originally posted by bubone

Kees
          In my experience with most ale yeast 5-7 days is optimal. 10 days is about the limit if you have healthy yeast, autolyzed (dead) yeast has a very distinct smell and taste and i rely a lot on my senses to make decisions about yeast. Much more than 10 days (for typical house strains of ale yeast) and you are just asking for trouble IMHO.

Transferring to a yeast brink or a clean sani'd keg and storing in a cooler can give you some extra time too. I once had a 3 week old Trappist strain in a brink that fermented like it came straight from the lab. All strains are different and you may have different results depending on many variables. Be consirvative at first and get to know your strain. From there do whatever you are comfortable enough with to let you sleep through the night without waking up wondering if your beer is fermenting- been there before, didn't like it!

BTW i will almost agree with Dave on the 13 pitches - i usually stop by 12, i guess i have a subconscious superstition at work in somewhere the depths of my massive brain.
          Last edited by Jephro; 07-28-2009, 04:44 PM.
          Jeff Byrne

Comment

Originally posted by bubone

Kees
            Hiya' BuBone,
            my yeast sits in the cone (in the spring and summer) about 3-5 days. I have repitched (in the winter) from the cone after sitting over two-and-a-half weeks (shudder! ).

Prost!
            dave
            Glacier Brewing Company
            406-883-2595
            info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

OK,

I repitch +/- after about 10 days.
              The head fermentation takes about 3 to 5 days.
              After that decrease temp to 35 ° F
              Untill now, I have no problems with beer.
              I just starterd with fresh yeast after 2 year using dry yeast.
              I'am now on the 6 genaration off the WLP 530.

Kees
              Last edited by bubone; 07-28-2009, 11:45 PM.

Comment

yeast re-pitch

HI All:

Regarding re-pitch of your yeast, it depends what yeast strain you use; i.e., W1056 is a high flocculating yeast, therefore faster to remove from the cone etc.

I re-pitch altimes with the yeast from the youngest fermenting.
                We check yeast for dead cells, micro, temperature in the cone, trub particles, smell, pH etc, all the QA stuff we can do in a Brewpub operation.
                When the yeast to be used passes all the checks, we use the same for pitching.

Fred

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Scheer
                  We check yeast for dead cells, micro, temperature in the cone, trub particles, smell, pH etc, all the QA stuff we can do in a Brewpub operation.
                  Fred
                  PH of yeast? I wouldnt think it would change much unless you had a huge lactic infection. Whats this check for?
                  Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
                  tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
                  "Your results may vary"

Comment

After the head fermentation, I allways make a sample with MRS broth.
                    If thats OK, i have no worry's
                    I monitor the pH throw the fermentation and remove dead yeast and trub. The Yeast that I use looks creamy and have no off flavours.
                    For my blond and dubbel I use the WLP 530.
                    After the first genaration, there is no problem with the flocculation.
                    With the WLP 833 lager yeast, its a different story.
                    Thats take's langer, up to 7 to 10 days.

Kees

Comment

RE: yeast generations

I picked up a little tip from Chris White recently in regards to yeast handling. He said that the best time to harvest yeast for re-pitching is the day after terminal gravity is reached and before the fermenter is crash cooled.

Of course it depends on yeast strain and flocculation characteristics, but the reasoning is that yeast is very insulating and the jacket on the cone of your fermenter (if you have one) does not cool the yeast sufficiently. He says you're better off risking contamination and transferring the yeast to a smaller vessel and keeping it in the fridge than storing it in the fermenter until you are ready to pitch from it.

I am now buying new yeast 2-3 times per year instead of 5-6. I can only go 6-7 generations because we just don't brew enough.

Comment

The yeast in our cones stays nice and cold. I would think that you would have to have a pretty crappy tank or a tank with no jacket in the cone to have a real problem with that. Possibly an over worked chiller? I can verify with a thermometer that our yeast in the cone is as cold as the rest of the tank.
                        Joel Halbleib
                        Partner / Zymurgist
                        Hive and Barrel Meadery
                        6302 Old La Grange Rd
                        Crestwood, KY
                        www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

I measered the temp of yeast in the cone, and that is 41 °F.
                          The beer stays one 35 °F .
                          I think, if I let more yeast out, the temp wil drop to a 37 a 36 °F.
                          Is 41 °F to high ???

Cheers,
                          Kees

Comment

Working...
                          X