First experience with Summit hops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First experience with Summit hops

I ordered 5 kg of Summit from Hop Union just for the fun of it. Any ideas, thoughts or particular approach with this variety?

I was planning a straight fwd American Pale ale / IPA.

100% Summit beer? Continous hopping maybe?

I read on PB it could have some "oniony" features and I want to stay away from that (if it's a potent as in Columbus!)

Some say it's similar to Simcoe, wich I like alot

Feedbacks and ideas are welcomed!

I brewed an American Pale Ale with all Summits recently. I used an 11 pound box in the boil and dry-hopping a 10 Bbl. batch. The customers loved it, although they love anything with lots of hops in it. Personally, I grew to hate it. The aroma and flavor is onion/garlic, and seemed to get more pronounced with age. Towards the end, I couldn't even drink one. Our judging comments at the NABA were "unpleasant hop character", "harsh and vegetal hop character", and "Yep, that's Summits alright". I won't go there again, but as the say, YMMV.
    Paul Thomas
    Brewer
    Sockeye Brewing
    www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

summit

Onion and cat piss!

Comment

Summit hops are Really pungent and need to be blended and used sparingly but overall they are good when used in moderation . I use them in a IPA blend and they are the stuff... It really smells like onion when they are harvested but smell like citrus peels in beers ......... Cheers

Comment

Summit Hops

The key word here is MODERATION… too much of a good thing can be a problem. Remember that the intended purpose of the Summit variety is cost efficient alpha delivery. The high alpha characteristic, better than average utilization along with probably the best storage-ability of all the suppers is where the value is.
          In moderation (surly not a candidate for single hop brews) you should experience “earthy aromatic notes and a subtle hint of citrus”.

Comment

Widmer's Drifter Pale Ale uses Summits and Nelsons. Much more moderate flavor and aroma than my 100% aggressively hopped Summit-try one of these for an idea of what it can do. BTW, I tried a Nelson single hop that another brewer made, and I said "mmm, summity".
            And yes, I have heard the same about Summit as far as alpha and ease of harvesting; apparently a lot of it is being made into extract.
            Paul Thomas
            Brewer
            Sockeye Brewing
            www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

Summit hops

Our first year in business I made a pale ale with alot of Summits on the back end of the boil and they seemed fairly tangerine like, but this recent year's have had oniony flavors and "chivey" aromas that are over the top. We contracted for a ton of these this year because we were told that Simcoes would not be available. My plan was to blend Summits with some other C hops to mask the character a bit. I am not happy with these hops except for the pure reason of high alpha for bittering. Good luck.

Michael Uhrich
              Carter's Brewing

Comment

Try first wort hopping with Summit. That slightly over the top aorma is much more subdued. I first wort hop my pale ale with Summit as well as finish the boil with a lot of Cascade. The pungent Summit aroma is a nice background behind the citrusy aroma from the Cascade.
                Scott Isham
                Harper's Brewpub

Comment

I have used Summit successfully in my APA, but it has second billing behind Ahtanum, with Mt. Hood rounding things out. But I do use a lot of each hop 1lb/bbl total at knockout and once again in the dry hop. I get more of the tangerine character in this way, but some 'earthiness' does come through.
                  Fighting ignorance and apathy since 2004.

Comment

Summit Hops

I agree with the earlier comment about Summit being a great hop for AA% especially in hugely hopped beers that are a bit much for the kettle. Like all things brewing though it is subjective. I agree with druslu that it can add a tangerine quality when used in lower doses on the back end or balanced properly with another variety.
                    Some like that onion/tangerine given from late additions, some don't. I myself am a fan of Chinook - quite harsh and spicy but hey that's me. These are the type of hops that stand out - love 'em or hate 'em.
                    One thing is for sure! Lots of Summit in the back end of most any style will not go unnoticed or get confused with another variety.

Comment

Do a 5 gallon test batch, using only Summit. It's the best way for you to try it. I personnally dislike it. Use sparingly and with other hops, would be my advice.

Comment

Summit

Offset it with some Cascade and it cuts the cat piss onion quality nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by doverbrewer
                          Offset it with some Cascade and it cuts the cat piss onion quality nicely.
                          What he said. Cascade & Summit play well together.
                          Cheers & I'm out!
                          David R. Pierce
                          NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
                          POB 343
                          New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Summit

When they were introduced some say they smelled of onions and garlic. I got
                            Tangerine and a overall citrus. In the years since then though maybe it's still yet to reach a final flavor profile...

The 2008 Summits and the Columbus I got were very off from prior years. Almost petroleum like aroma and yes cat pee etc. Plain weird.

I asked for a different lot and though much less petroleum like it was still there. Something they got sprayed with?

I use Summit soley as a bittering hop in an IPA I make and then assault the beer with Centennial, Amarillo and Columbus. I doubt I would use Summit anywhere but bittering.

Have fun with those hops...

T

I corrected my post... I was quite incorrect on the origination of Summit which was bred by the Dwarf Hop Association. My apologies to all concerned. The Dwarf Hop concept is what came from England...my bad!
                            Last edited by Tash; 03-16-2010, 11:20 AM.

Comment

We use the summit in our pale but cut it with amarillo and whole leaf centennial in the hop back. The summit alone was too much on the garlic/onion/sulfur kinda vibe. I like the unique flavor of summit but only when blended with something more citrus to round it out and brighten it up. I have had other years of summit that didn't seem as pungent. I hear that the onion/garlic can be influenced by when the farmer calls the field and harvests. I agree with "use with care". Any word on the 2009 crop? Haven't used the latest harvest yet, although will soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X