No announcement yet.

Homemade wort chiller / heat exchanger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade wort chiller / heat exchanger?

Has anyone every made a homemade wort chiller / heat exchanger?
    I have a 3.5bbl brewhouse and I'm on a well and septic, and was wondering if anyone has some insight to a heat exchanger that uses less waste water?

waste is a four letter word...save the water

The water you use to chill is only waste water if you make it such. Save the water and use it. Hot water is of course valuable and directly usable and the rest can be re-used for all brewing purposes. Homemade chillers work but aren't necessarily any savings vs. buying a used plate/frame chiller as copper or stainless tubing is expensive. Are you pumping wort? If so, find a used chiller. If not, an immersion chiller in the kettle is your main option. I made a 1" copper tubing (type K) coil for my 2bbl kettle that works great but of course is a drag for cleaning. You need at least 3/4" tubing (I had the 1" kicking around). You can also use a cool ship without any water or hot pack the fermenter and put a fan on it with wet cloth but it is of course more risky. I sometimes do it in the winter when ambient microbe levels are low with great success (but I have learned through experience {read lost batches} when and how to make it work).

Comment

Working...
    X