Floating hop pellet mush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floating hop pellet mush

I've noticed lately that in beers with appreciable amounts of late hops, during the whirlpool the hops (all pellets) like to float on top instead of mixing in nicely. This is a problem when I add hops during the whirlpool, as they like to all sit on top and the pellets don't always break up well. Is this normal? anything to do about it?

The majority of our kettle hops are in the whirlpool and we have the same problem. I always just grab the hose and spray them in to the kettle as I pour in the hops. If that doesn't do it I just keep spraying them in the direction of the whirlpool 'till they're mixed in. I usually end up adding less than 10gallons of water to a 20bbl boil.
    __
    Kushal Hall
    Common Space Brewery
    Hawthorne, CA

Comment

That's been my technique lately as well.

Comment

You're spraying cold water into the kettle? Spraying cold (oxygenated) water into the kettle late in the process just doesn't sound like good practice. Not concerned with HSA? How about adding minerals or chlorine? Try to hydrate the hops before addition if they float.
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I find breaking mine up with a 2' stainless ruler works pretty well for a 20bbl kettle. I'm sure other tools would work better.
          Perhaps spreading the load into more and smaller additions would help?

Comment

mush it up

When I use pellets in the whirl in larger kettles(7+ bbls) I like to put them in a clean corny and fill to 2/3 with the hot wort and swirl (lid on to save aromatics) until I am confident they are wortdrated. I don't sweat the hsa but I certainly sweat the hot wort handling and wear appropriate gear.

Comment

floating hops

I have experienced this floating hop situation several times. Every time the source of this problem is due to a leaky wort pump. When you are whrilpooling the pump is drawing in air and suspending the hops.
              Check your pump.
              Ted Rice
              Marble Brewery
              111 Marble Ave NW
              Albuquerque, NM 87102

Comment

Working...
              X