Kettle Steam leak affect on wort?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kettle Steam leak affect on wort?

Anyone have any experience with getting a steam jacket leak during the boil in your kettle, and any affects this had on young and finished beer?

Thanks in advance,

John

Depends on if the leak is toward the wort side or not.
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

That much I could figure out.

If it wasn't on the wort side I wouldn't have asked the question.

Comment

Originally posted by brewmar
        That much I could figure out.

If it wasn't on the wort side I wouldn't have asked the question.
        M-kay. I would not hesitate to dump the batch now. Even if (or maybe because) you use no treatment on your boiler. At a minimum you'll have added iron oxide (rust) to your wort.
        Cheers & I'm out!
        David R. Pierce
        POB 343
        New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Just keep tasting the beer throughout the process and see if you pick up any difference. I wouldn't go dumping any beer unless you're tasting any genuine defects. I've drunk many beers in my time and, post drinko, found out that a few have been exposed to live steam and have not detected any difference.

Comment

I do not know what boiler treatment chemical tastes like, and I do not want to either. I am sure of one thing, the treatment we use in the boiler is not remotely made for human consumption. You can not go by taste when it comes to chemicals.
            Joel Halbleib
            Partner / Zymurgist
            Hive and Barrel Meadery
            6302 Old La Grange Rd
            Crestwood, KY
            www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Your water treatment chemicals should be staying in the boiler, not coming up with the steam. The only worry would be iron from rust in the steam lines.
              Linus Hall
              Yazoo Brewing
              Nashville, TN
              www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Thanks

Thanks guys.

I agree with Linus that the only thing that leaves the boiler is steam. Not chemicals.

We didn't see any evidence of rust at the leak joint when my welder repaired it either. We think it was a thermal expansion/contraction failure.

We will continue to taste and monitor the wort through fermentation. If in doubt, we'll throw it out.

Appreciate the feedback. Thanks again.

John

Comment

If you don't have chemicals in your steam you have another problem. Your boiler and all piping need need those chemicals to last, without them your going to be buying all new piping and a new boiler to add to the kettle with a hole in it in time.

Comment

Honesty

If you decide to sell this contaminated beer you better let the customers know. If I am purchasing your beer and I find out (even a rumor works here) that it was contaminated and it wasn't sold as such, I am going to quit your product/establishment and tell everyone I know and the loss will ultimately be much greater than not selling the beer. Drink it yourself if you aren't concerned but don't pass it on. Your beer karma will suffer.

Comment

Thanks again

Yeah, we decided to dump it yesterday.

Just is not worth it. Steam leak is fixed. We'll double brew next week to catch up on production.

thanks again for the input.

John

Comment

Originally posted by brewmar
                        Yeah, we decided to dump it yesterday.

Just is not worth it. John
                        Good man, you did the right thing. Use the lose to your advantage by holding your value of high quality beer being # 1 to anyone that asks.
                        Cheers & I'm out!
                        David R. Pierce
                        POB 343
                        New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Beware boiler chemical salespeople.

Untreated steam is not necessarily a problem for pipework/boiler with regular blowdown cycles and soft water.

Pax.

Liam
                          Liam McKenna
                          www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

I realise that as far as this particular instance is concerned, it has been dealt with in a manner that will not give rise to any worries re boiler chemicals in beer.

However, just in case anyone is interested, there are a couple of systems out there in use which use live steam injection. One at least claims to have had good results using injected boiler steam with FDA approved boiler treatment chemicals only. However, I know I would still want to use "clean steam" from RO or distilled water produced via a suitable heat exchanger system.

See Meura and Pursuit Dynamics websites for a few details

Cheers
                            dick

Comment

Our mash tun is live steam injection. Don't fear the steam.

Comment

Working...
                              X