Hop Bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hop Bags

I will be brewing recipes that use about 2lbs of hops per bbl (I always get the face when I say that but this hopping rate on the pilot system makes some incredible beers). I've never used more than .5lb/bbl on the big batch.

I'm worried about the trub cone on these beers, I think the hops are going to slide into the kettle rack and clog the heat exchanger. Does anyone use hop bags? I'll be using pellet hops. My plan is to put SS weights in the bags and tie the bags to the door of the kettle so they are suspended in the wort. The largest single additions will be 10lbs, but I'm ok with using several bags if I have to. Another concern is if the bags hang against the side of the kettle where the steam jacket is... nothin like scorched nylon ale.

Also, where does one obtain these bags?

We are using hop bags for our whole hop additions. Our IPA has 2.2 llbs per bbl
    7bbl batch)but the apparent hop efficiency rate goes down in the bags. We add hops to the mash too so were all screwed up! We have not used bags with pellets. We put copper weights in the bags but we had some lying around.....the weights help some...but the bags sure like to float. We submerge them and squeeze up against the kettle edge (direct fire) throughout the brew.

Crosby-Baker is where we purchase ours.

cheers!

Comment

Working...
    X