Harvest ale / wet hops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvest ale / wet hops

There's been some posts on the subject a while ago but I was wondering if there's any updates based on personnal experice since then.

Easiest way for me to do is to lauter/mash tun into a hopback:

Wirlpool in kettle > pump in LT/MT through underlet pipes or adding a tube to sparge arm to reduce oxygen contact > let soak/whirlpool again for 30minutes (or more?) at about 90c.

But, if there are benefis from boiling them, I would do it using x-large bags

My double-batch will be 2x 5bbls

My local farmer has Mt Hood and Nugget: would they be good for this?

Any inputs would be appreciated

Cheers!

Zb

Boiling them for long would waste their delights. The mash/hop back sounds good, thirty minutes would be plenty- consider stirring them around a bit to help extraction. But what about dry hopping with them? I seem to think dry hopping is the most delightful use for fresh hops, ideally combined with late hot addition/s.
    The cones that are tighter, and I think Nugget and Hoods are, have a bit more challenge to get the wort into and then back out of where the good stuff needs to be extracted from.
    This is making me thirsty.

Comment

It's happening!!

We will dump the fresh hops, havested 2 hours ago in our lauter tun converted into a giant hopback. 3kg of Hallertau, 3kg of Cascade and 1kg of Wilamette (roughly 15lbs for 5bbl)

What could be the ideal contact time? I was thinking about pitching the hops when tank is filled, then start heat exchange immediately.

Too short time period?

I'm so excited.

Zb

Comment

Let them sit as long as possible, and mix them up a bit so the hot wort can get into where the lupulin glands are and extract as much as possible. Is it possible to use them immediately in another brew-even in the mash? Can you put them in an aging tank and put beer on top of them to (sort of) wet/dry hop? You would be surprised how much will be left.
        You can open one up as see/taste what is left.

Comment

OK! I tought I need the shortest ("ideal") contact time in order not to loose all the volatile components. This will be done close to boiling temps, at about 90c (194F)

Comment

Working...
          X