Brewers boots...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewers boots...

Im In the market for some brewer's boots, ive never owned a pair before and am wondering what I should look for. What kind of height? Steel Toes? Is there any material that is better than the rest?

Boots are just a big bucket to hold lots of hot water. I have a pair of all rubber Birkies. They go on and off in seconds, and do not slip much at all.
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

After using big rubber boots for years, I wised up and got something like these LL Bean style boots:

Worked great for me!

Tim
      Last edited by tarmadilo; 08-30-2009, 05:45 PM.

Comment

For general everyday wear, I use Timberland Pro 6" Waterproof boots.

For heavy cleaning and such, I use just some standard rubber boots.

Comment

if you work in slippery than normal conditions (slick floors, walking through kitchens, etc.) i like the shoes for crews brand guardian 3 boots. non-slip!, knee / shin high black rubber, steel toe, pretty decent support - $40

Comment

See also this thread:
            Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Steel toe

Anyone who works with kegs (delivering, cleaning or filling) or is moving heavy equipment should wear steel toed boots. You can easily lose a toe by dropping a full keg on it and even dropping a empty one on your foot sucks.

jamie

Comment

Muckboots.com
                I use the Hoser 14", choose the chore-boot for steel toes; 12 or 14"
                "I have a pair of all rubber Birkies." Wearing flipflops, Berkenstocks, Krocks or anythig like that is unsafe and should not be allowed in a brewery.
                Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
                tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
                "Your results may vary"

Comment

Don't Forget About The Socks

If you do go with rubber boots, it's also important to keep your feet dry and comfortable. With my first PPE issuing I got these blue booties called Bama Sokkettes that fit over your normal socks, and almost 10 years later I still wear them (not the same ones, they do wear out). They pad pretty comfortably (more so than regular sole inserts, IMHO) and help pull moisture away from your sweating feet. I'm not sure how widely distributed they are, but Sanderson Safety Supply in Portland, OR carries them. If you try them, just be sure to have boots that are 1/2 or 1 size larger than you'd normally wear to insure your feet aren't all scrunched up.
                  Good luck with finding the best foot coverings!

Comment

If you're using glass, eg. bottling, then it's a good idea to look for a pair with a steel mid-sole. That way you don't risk broken glass piercing the sole.

Just as an historical note, it was common to find boots with copper nails in breweries up until quite recently (I can remember them being used in yeast-handling areas when I joined the industry in the 1980's...).

The reason was that copper has a bactericidal effect, so prevented the spread of spoilage organisms from one area to another.

Copper or brass fittings have much the same effect
                    Last edited by TL Services; 09-02-2009, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Remember socks too!

I second the Muck Boots, safety toe version. Pretty comfortable, a little hot and sweaty if your brewery is in a warm climate, but tolerable with the right socks. They are tight around your calf to help prevent them getting filled with anything you spill. Lots of places sell them online. Every other shoe or boot I have worn has been worn down to nothing in about 6-9 months. Don't overlook the importance of socks as well. Good socks may seem overpriced at $10-15 a pair, but your feet will thank you for splurging.

Cheers,
                      Jason

Comment

I have to give a big second on the Timberland Pro series work boots, waterproof, non-slip, shank, and steel toe.
                        The ones i have have an abrasion resistant cover on the toe and back of the heel which also prevents cracking of the leather, and most of all they are Very Comfortable!!
                        Last edited by Jephro; 09-02-2009, 12:30 PM.
                        Jeff Byrne

Comment

Plus Sized Rubbers

If you are blessed with extremely large & wide feet, rubber boots are damn near impossible to source. After many years of soggy hiking boots, I acquired a pair of Thorogood fireman boots in extra wide; they fit my Clydesdale hooves remarkably well, & are built to withstand hellish conditions. The downside is they weigh allot & are expensive, however I don't have the foot binding toe crushing sensation of medium width boots.
                          Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working. -Harold Rudolph

Comment

Anyone ever worn these?
                            Grainger is your premier industrial supplies and equipment provider with over one million products to keep you up and running. Use Grainger.com for fast and easy ordering with next-day delivery available. Rely on our product experts for 24/7 support.

Insulated, PVC, steel toe, so could be good winter brewery boots.

Cheers,
                            Jason

Comment

Mickey Mouse Boots

I had a pair of these for shoveling out a Pugsley mash tun; the double insulation kept the walking on hot coals sensation to a minimum. The only problem (aside from weight), is that they aren’t very tall so care must be taken while trudging around in the mash tun.

Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working. -Harold Rudolph

Comment

Working...
                              X