Minimum brewed versus capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum brewed versus capacity

This may be an odd question, but what is the minimum amount I would be able to brew per batch for any given brewery capacity? That is, if I have only a 10 bbl fermenter, what is the minimum I could ferment without problems (i.e., too much oxygen in the environment)? Say I had a 10 bbl fermenter only and wanted to do the smallest test batch I could. What size test batch could I get away with?

It depends on the design of the tanks. Where is the temp probe? how are the jackets set up?

There is no broad answer, Some 10bbl systems could probably do 3bbls others might take as much as 6+bbls to get a consistent fermentation. You need to sufficiently cover the probe and have sufficient contact with the cooling jackets.

Excess head space wouldn't be your problem, within reason. I wouldn't put 1bbl in a 100bbl dish bottom tank!
    Last edited by REV; 09-08-2009, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Also consider where the whirlpool port is in the kettle and where the heating jackets are. Also what grain bed depth will you have with the small mash. Theres also filter capacity and extra head space in BBT for carbonation. realisticaly the system will perform a little to alot differently when at full capaity. Though, If you want a rule-of-thumb answer I would say alot of systems can do a 1/2 batch.
      Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
      tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
      "Your results may vary"

Comment

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

Comment

Carbonation and head space

Can larger brites be used, say 30bbl, for 15bbl batches? Does it waste a lot of CO2?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_H
            Can larger brites be used, say 30bbl, for 15bbl batches? Does it waste a lot of CO2?
            Yes and yes.

Pax.

Liam
            Liam McKenna
            www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Originally posted by liammckenna
              Yes and yes.

Pax.

Liam
              I understand your first yes but care to expand on the second one? How exactly does it waste CO2 in the fermenter?

Edit: Never mind I just noticed he asked about the brites not the fermenters so yes it would definitely waste C02 with the extra head space that would have to be pressurized.

Comment

Working...
              X