Pumpkin Powder anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pumpkin Powder anyone?

Brewing my first pumpkin ale after many years of putting it off due to time restrictions. As I was digging around in my local spice shop( which is unbelievable) I found a pumpkin powder, which appears to be nothing more than dried and ground pumpkin. The aroma is just that. I made a tea with it in 150 mils of Water and it seems to be a viable alternative to fresh/canned pumpkin. Anyone heard or had any experience with this product before I blow 10 Bbls of beer. Thanks

Well, no responses to my inquiry on pumpkin powder. So I did what any of us would do..rolled the dice and tried it. I am very impressed with this product. My beer has,along with the required spice, a deep true pumpkin nose and flavor. I'm not sure how the traditionalist feel about it,it is kind of riding the razors edge, but if you are of the school of only spice in your pumpkin beer then this is for you. With a simple tea made with the powder in cold water and added at the end of boil along with the spices, instantly you get that gourdy, pumpkin aroma. No roasting or carving pumpkins( which I'm doing 20 Bbls, it would have been a lot of carving)Try it in your next firkin. Cheers

Comment

Interesting stuff. Care to share the manufacturer/supplier?
      Cheers,
      Mike Roy
      Brewmaster
      Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
      5123 Baltimore Ave
      Hyattsville,MD 20781
      301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
      @franklinsbrwry
      facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

I got ie from a local spice shop so I'm not sure who made it however in deciding to use it I researched it on line and there are quite a few manufacturers. The one thing I found was that some use a starch to keep it from coagulating in the container, but again, I am pretty impressed with it.

Comment

Would you be kind enough to share how much you used for 20bbls?

Comment

these folks claim only dried pumpkin...cool.

Comment

usage?

this stuff sounds intriguing, i'm also curious as to your usage rate/barrel?
              Dylan Schatz, Head Brewer
              Mad River Brewing Company
              195 Taylor Way, Blue Lake, CA 95525
              (707) 668-4151 ext. 110
              dylan@madriverbrewing.com

Comment

look under flavored powders you'll find a list of interesting items that ive seen used in brewing but are less likely to clog a HX in this Powdered form
                (such as Raspberry and Beets)
                Last edited by KevinECB; 03-03-2010, 09:22 PM. Reason: typo (wrong berry)

Comment

Working...
                X