Tying off hop sacks in brite tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tying off hop sacks in brite tank

Afternoon....I just experienced calamity today and I am looking for some ideas/techniques.

We have been dry hopping with whole hops in hop bags in our brite tanks. We have been tying off the bags onto tri clamp carb stones that fit thru the sides of our grundy tanks. This has worked well except one of our 7 carb stones is taken out of service while conditioning. Less of a problem when things are slower but a problem when at capacity. I had the "brite" idea to tie the hop bags to the stand pipe. Well....3 bbls into a 7bbl transfer to serving the outlet was clogged by the hop bag. Yikes.

The carb stone way keeps the bags off of the outlet...somehow.
    I have been dragging my feet having a custom ss tri clamp piece(s) made to tie hops bags. Do I need to just bite the bullet and pay somebody the money to make one if we continue with whole hops vs pellets? Or is there something obvious we are missing?

thx!

I went to the hardware store and bought some 4 or 5" stainless eye hooks (1/4 diam IIRC) cut off the threaded part and had a local fab shop weld them to the center of a few 1.5 TC caps. They were perfect for tying hop bags to and the cost was pretty low. I put them in the grundies where the carb stones clamped (I never had much use for the carb stones)

Comment

I like it...thanks burlybeer.

Comment

Working...
      X