Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rice

Interesting article in the LA Times:

Though the grain is derided in many circles, a handful of brewers are using it in ales for a crisp, delicate flavor that can easily pair with lighter fare.

Those of you using rice, what form do you use? Flaked?

If using raw rice, does anyone know a source for small quantities of brewers' grade/broken rice? How about a source of whole-grain but non-fortified rice?

Thanks!

---Guy

Thanks for the post. I am both hungry and thirsty after reading the article.

Comment

Great article. Nice to see that folks are getting hip to the fact that great beers can be and are being made with rice and other adjuncts. Anyway, I never really bought into the prevailing hype that a beer has to be all-malt to be a quality product.
      Plenty of great beers are made and have been made in years past with various adjunct grains and sugars.

Comment

Yeah.

Rheinheitsgebot to me has often sounded like someone telling my local bakery that we only like white bread.

Flaked rice is easy to work with. In low (<30%) quantity, rice starchis also easy to work with. Comes in many forms. Both forms are pre-gelatinized in case you have no way to cook your cereals.

Pax.

Liam
        Liam McKenna
        www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Finally!

A message I've been hammering on for years! I'm with Liam on the whole Reinheitsgebot crap. If it tastes good, it IS good. Rice does make a great beer. I have been using it for years in our most popular beer--Red Rooster Light. And it's delicious! Although a bit more difficult to brew with, the challenge is worth the results. I'd be happy to pass on techniques using rice and share my source of broken grain "second heads" to those that would try it. Rice is nice!
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

It appears the "I am a Craftbrewer" thing was very short sited in terms of promoting creativity in brewing.

Dr Malt

Comment

moderation

well lets not pull a 360 and start bashing the Reinheitsgebot. #1 its not an American thing, its a German thing. if we were following it we couldn't use lactobacilus, wheat, rye or salt (all of which are exceptions in all or certain regions of germany from the reinheitsgebot) # 2 the laws were created with a purpose, possibly to better organize supplies? i don't know, they remain out of tradition and pride. would german beers be so rich and malty if the law wasn't enacted...who knows.

i had an extremely nice japanese beer brewed with a saki rice from a now closed brewery...it was pretty good if i say so...its all in how you use your ingredients not (to an extent) what you use. yes the use of adjunct rice in beer has been given a bad rap, but it doesn't mean we need to start giving the reinheitsgebot a bad rap...

personally i will embrace both....the ideas for my next 2 homebrews were already planned before this post, a Curry beer.. using both washed basmatic rice (nutty) and Jaggery as adjuncts. and a traditional Dusseldorf alt with one exception; priming sugar
              (which has just recently been approved in germany as an exception to the Reinheitsgebot)

Comment

&quot;I am a craft brewer....who uses rice!&quot;

If you have a cereal cooker you can cook (gelatinize) the rice and then add it to the mash. For broken rice you can call a rice grower/mill in your area...usually they are interested in selling lots of rice, as in semi-trucks full.

If you don't want to go to the hassle of cooking (gelatinizing) rice you can buy pre-gelatinized brewers rice flake from Briess malting, 25lb bags.

Have fun, and while your at it have a beer!

Joe Valvo

Comment

Working...
                X