Steam vs. Direct Fired Gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam vs. Direct Fired Gas

Would really appreciate a 'brainstorm list' of experience/opinions as to the pros and cons of each of these two types of kettle heating systems...

Thanks.

Give me steam.

Steam can be turned on and off in an instant. Steam is easier to control. Steam can be used on kettle, mash, and HLT. Steam can be used remotely without the local flue ducting. If you need it, steam can be used for room heating. Steam eliminates hot spots. Steam is usually more efficient. Steam is the way to go.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Ok, I should add a qualification... the brewlength is 7 to 10 bbl

Comment

How you feel could make it real...real as anything you've seen

I guess its what you're used to. I'm a direct fired guy from Australia. I run a small brewery, and we have a fairly healthy profit margin, which probably counts for something.
        Are you using steam on your mash tun? Do you have a HLT or just a kettle that you use twice? I am assuming that with your brewlength you don't, and for running one vessel, it would be better to put 2X 200-300 Meg burners underneath and not bothering with a boiler

Comment

Actually, we haven't purchased yet, so I have no equipment. Was considering a HLT with electric element. Also, mashing temp control via hot water addition and temp monitoring. I imagine steam would provide far better MLT control at const temp?

Would the 2x burner idea help with temp distribution in the smaller vessel (i have heard the uneven heating arguments re direct fire - is this what you mean?)

Comment

You might also consider indirect fire (if that's what it's called). I worked for a year on a DME-built brewhouse that heated in the kettle with a gas burner that blew extremely hot air into a jacket, much like a steam jacket. It worked great, and we didn't miss having a boiler at all!

Cheers, Tim

Comment

I've brewed with both styles of systems and found that although the heat is more even with steam...you do still get hot spots..and the boiler has matinaince requirements that must be kept.
              On the other hand,...(should you EVER make a mistake)"dry frying" can severly damage an "IDF" kettle where as a steam kettle isn't really harmed at all.(hey,it happens)
              I agree that if your system is smaller than 20bbls., indirect may be more practical and economical.
              Steam systems will last years longer as they don't flex nearly as much as "IDF" kettles....sparing welds and seams from eventually fracturing.
              Which I've seen happen in the finest of brand systems.

Comment

steam system maintenance

I've been using steam for about two years and love it. My problem right now is that I've had a hard time getting information on maintaining the steam system. I know there are traps (I haven't done anything with them yet) and some kind of blow-down procedure (don't know what to do about that one)

Any info would be helpful.

Jeff

Comment

Re: steam system maintenance

Originally posted by gamebrewer
                  I've been using steam for about two years and love it. My problem right now is that I've had a hard time getting information on maintaining the steam system. I know there are traps (I haven't done anything with them yet) and some kind of blow-down procedure (don't know what to do about that one)

Any info would be helpful.

Jeff

Jeff,

We recently purchased a used Parker Boiler and had no documentation. Fortunately, Parker has a pretty extensive website that had the documents on-line. I do this quite a bit.

Look over the Boiler for the manufacturer and look them up on the internet. Write down any model numbers, etc. (This is what I did). If they don't have any on-line documentation, then call them and tell them your situation. I would imagine that if it was a reputable company, they probably have .pdf versions of these documents.

Parker even had schematics, boiler room lay-outs, dimensions, and performance type data on their website which made it extremely nice to read over at home.

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                  X