how many cranberries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many cranberries?

I have done a few fruit beers and come to a standby formula of how much to use,about 4 pounds per bbl. But these have been sweeter fruits like bluberries. Im looking at a cranberry wheat and thats more tart. Not sure if I should back off due to acidic reation, taste, will there be an acidic bite, etc. I'll be mashing them and adding to fermenter after racking off the yeast post fermentation.
    "Uncle" Frank
    Frank Fermino
    Brewer I, Redhook, Portsmouth, NH
    Writer, Yankee Brew News, New England
    Wise-ass, Everywhere, Always

Cranberries are extremely tart and also full of benzoic acid. A pretty potent antifungal (read yeast). I see that you are planning on adding to secondary which is good. I hope you are not expecting a secondary fermentation.

Benzoic acid is a very astringently flavoured acid which may or may not work well in your beer. It depends on the base beer you are planning on adding the cranberries too. It might work well in something like a vienna style lager, IMHO.

Try some rough bench testing with some pure cranberry juice and a few diferent beers.

I also might suggest taking a web journey to look at some sites on making cranberry wine. They may give you some insight into balance fo flavours, maximum ratio of fruit to fermentables etc.

Pax.

Liam
    Liam McKenna
    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Working...
    X