Using Glycol Chiller for Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Glycol Chiller for Cooler

How difficult is it to use your glycol chiller to refrigerate your cooler?
    How much added HP would be needed?
    What additional equipment will be needed?
    Ben Davis
    Intuition Ale Works
    Jacksonville Florida
    www.intuitionaleworks.com

The problem is you need a blower inside your cooler that is designed for glycol. I tired running glycol through an old evaporator blower designed for refridgerant. The tubes going into the side of the coils were just too small to get enough flow through. It maybe brought the temp down a few more degrees.
    They do make blowers for glycol but I have found none used.
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Joel is correct, because glycol temperature is typically 10-12 F below the storage room temperature you not only need a coil circuited for glycol, but it generally will take a bigger coil with more surface area (compared with a direct expansion refrigerant coil). Standard refrigerant coils operate with freon that is 20 F below the room temperature so it has the ability to exchange the required heat with less surface area, or by using a smaller coil.

The cooling requirements will depend on the room size, the insulation, and the load. If it is just for keeping chilled kegs cold, the load is pretty small. If warm product is placed inside to be cooled, the load will increase accordingly.

If you want to email or call me with the room dimensions (LXWXH), the insulation rating or box description, and confirm it's use and temperature. I can provide a quote for a coil and let you know the chiller hp and glycol flow required.

Thanks,

Jim
      Pro Refrigeration Inc.
      jimvgjr@prorefrigeration.com
      800-845-7781 ext 203

Comment

glycol cooler chiller

Try KRACK.

Seriously. I have one in my cooler running off my glycol line. It has a temp. control too! Just my $0.02.

Comment

KRACK is a good option!

All of the coil manufacturers (including KRACK) can provide a glycol coil option for your system. I hope I didn't imply these were a special item only available from a specialty manufacturer. If you have refrigerant coils, you can contact the same manufacturer and it is likely they will provide an option.

The supplier will, or should, request the same data that I listed to properly size and spec. Most will also require you to purchase either through a contractor or original equipment manufacturer.

Depending on the coil size, we offer coils manufactured by RAE Corporation (out of Prior, Oklahoma) or Russell (located in Yuma, AZ).

Good luck!

Jim

Comment

Working...
          X