Getting into commercial brewing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting into commercial brewing

This is in almost a way a follow up to Grasshopper's post. I am seriously considering making a career move into commercial brewing, and was wondering what is the best way to 'test the waters'. Similarly to Grasshopper, if I am learning, payment is not a big thing, as long as I can keep my dayjob!! I was hoping to be able to pick up a couple of nights a week as a second shift gig helping out at either a brewpub or microbrewery. What is my best approach to talking to the brewers to get them to not react negatively to a newbie to the commericial brewing world?

After reading some of the responses that Grasshopper received, I really second guessed my approach to talking to brewmasters. I am willing to scrub mash tuns, shovel grain and mop the floor, I just want to see if this is a career move that I am sure I want to make before I quit my dayjob.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
    Jason

Just ask to meet with the brewmaster (show some respect and call to set up a time, don't just walk in) , and tell him or her exactly what you put in your post. Don't grovel or act like a stalker, and chances are you will get a positive response. If you are smart enough and have the work ethic to be in a brewery, you are of great value, and should not have to grovel or work for free.

Comment

Here's one of the many threads on the subject:

Comment

Working...
      X