how to fill hoff-stevens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to fill hoff-stevens?

I picked up a few hoff-steven kegs and couplers, but I'm not sure how to fill them. Is there a special counter/pressure filler for the bung hole? or can I fill through the "out" dip tube?

Fill through the bung hole. That is the only way due to the internal check valves. Besides, those holes are way too small for quick filling.

Comment

Hoff filling

Originally posted by Moonlight
      Fill through the bung hole. That is the only way due to the internal check valves. Besides, those holes are way too small for quick filling.
      It does work counter pressure transfering through the liquid port on the coupler. The only check valve I know of is on the gas port on the coupler and can be removed for the filling operation. I agree the liquid port is way too small for quick filling but if you have patience it is no problem (for a few anyway!).

Comment

Filling hoff-stevens

When I first got into brewing we used Hoff-Stevens kegs. We had a German-made filler that counter-pressured and fobbed and all that good stuff but I've seen simpler "fire-hose" type devices that you would hold in place by hand. You will take some cold beer showers if you use those. If you're just going to fill a few it'd be much easier to go through the valves. Because of the shape of the keg I think you'll need to fill them upside down to get the full 15.5 gallons in.

Comment

Probably a multi coupler "octopus" and counter filling off the bright is your best bet if you have only a few. Beer line shut offs upstream of the coupler and a 1/4 in. throttling ball valve on the CO2 line. Pull out the CO2 check valve my friend Canyon (who perhaps possesses some of our old H-S kegs) mentions.

We had (have actually) several Maheen keg fillers from the early days that stood us well when we were packaging regularly from Grundy, 15 and 30bbl tanks. Sort of like the "fire hose" method below, but mounted on a spring loaded frame. Kept the beer showers to a minimum but a lot of "exercise."
          Clarke Pelz
          Cynosure Brewing

Comment

Working...
          X