Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torrefied wheat vs Wheat Malt

Hi all

I have been using torrefied wheat to add body and improve head retention and lacing for over two years now. I have recently parted company with my maltster after a couple of bad batches of malt.

My new supplier does not sell torrefied wheat, but does sell wheat malt. I understand that this has the same properties for head retention and t/w, but are there any other issues to be aware of; is the taste comparable and how does extract compare. Can I substitute 1 for 1 without compromising taste?

Any help as always gratefully received.

I have used both extensively. How do I put this....If I was making a traditional (not American style wheat....I can hear the comments already) wheat beer I would lean toward malted wheat. Torrefied wheat, IMHO, has less flavour impact. It also has a different flavour impact. It is more 'biscuity' than malted wheat. Then again, Malted wheat is more 'wheaty'.

Reading that last sentence/paragraph makes me shudder. Time to work on the wheat flavour lexicon. Trying to help mate. Honestly.

The degree of difference will depend on which supplier you're getting each from. My point is: there is a difference. It is not huge. Extract is virtually the same for both forms. I have noted no other difference in terms of processing beers made with either.

Don't know if you'd be interested but there are some pretty neat malted/unmalted wheat 'flours' available (mainly for the baking industry) which solubilise extremely well at mash temperatures and offer high efficiency extract, protein and ease of lautering.

Speak with a local mill/bakery supply.

Depends on what you're after, I guess, and what your philosophy of approach is.

Best of luck.

Pax.

Liam
    Liam McKenna
    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

excellent segway to flaked vs. whole oats

I was going to post a question in the same regard about malted oat vs. flaked oat. Do either of you have any idea or experience with this? I have a couple bags of malted whole oats and thinking of using this instead of flaked oats as normal in my oatmeal stout. I didnt know if I can sub 1 for 1, more, less, etc. I will use rice hulls to help reduce chance of stuck mash. and based on your comments I wonder if it will be more "oaty" the way you described the malted wheat as more "wheaty".

I do agree the torrified has less impact. Ive used it for head retention in many beers because I felt it does not impart anything other than proteins for good head retention.
      "Uncle" Frank
      Frank Fermino
      Brewer I, Redhook, Portsmouth, NH
      Writer, Yankee Brew News, New England
      Wise-ass, Everywhere, Always

Comment

I have been using TF&S Oat Malt for a little more than a year in my Stout.

I couldn't be more pleased. I was originally thinking of flaked barley but decided to give the oats a whirl instead. Oats give a soft silkiness to the middle of the palate, filled out the body and at my level of use, (12.5% of grist weight), I note no astringency. Perhap this is because it is in a stout with about 9% roast and about 5% crystal (70-80oL).

I should also mention, our stout is nitro'ed via a contactor membrane unit and everything is consequently a little 'rounded' by that process.

It's contribution to head retention is significant.

I would love to try a beer with much larger proportions but I would be hesitant if only because of the husk component. I could easily see it being overpowering and potentially astringent in a lighter coloured beer. On the other hand, it could be quite uniquely different. Hmmm.

You'll need to think about a protein rest or perhaps even a beta-glucan rest. You may need the latter if you have a difficult lauter tun. The quantity of husk actually helps with lautering vs. flaked oats/barley.

Definitely more 'oaty' than flaked oats.

Pax.

Liam
        Liam McKenna
        www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

yummy oats

Just wanted to follow up with you Liam. My Oat Stout came out very nice. Creamy, great head, and "oaty". Id like to get more of that aroma somehow like Sam Smiths has, but Im fine with what I have for now. I may increase to an additional 55 pounds (25kG). I did a single step infusion mash at 158 and used about 10 pounds of rice hulls just in case to help with the sparge. cheers!
          "Uncle" Frank
          Frank Fermino
          Brewer I, Redhook, Portsmouth, NH
          Writer, Yankee Brew News, New England
          Wise-ass, Everywhere, Always

Comment

Working...
          X