Contract Brewing & Yeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contract Brewing & Yeast

Ok, so I am contract brewing but the brewery I'm working with only has two house yeasts. I'd prefer to use some of my own since they don't use what I want - so here is my question...

Is there a way I can use my yeast and rack it off into perhaps a sterile corny keg and store it at my house (refrigerated)? Any other ideas for how to do this?

Any help would be appreciated - I just hate the idea of dumping perfectly good yeast and would really like to brew styles that call for yeast they don't use.

There's a lot of questions which will most likely be asked in this type of thread, but my first two are:

1. Why is there a need to store yeast at your house, does this brewery not have the space for it?

There are many procedures that can help you store yeast in a container until your next usage( there's only so much time that can pass though).....but there's a lot of variables here....leading to question two

2. How often is your beer being brewed?
    Cheers,
    Mike Roy
    Brewmaster
    Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
    5123 Baltimore Ave
    Hyattsville,MD 20781
    301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
    @franklinsbrwry
    facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRoy
      There's a lot of questions which will most likely be asked in this type of thread, but my first two are:

1. Why is there a need to store yeast at your house, does this brewery not have the space for it?

There are many procedures that can help you store yeast in a container until your next usage( there's only so much time that can pass though).....but there's a lot of variables here....leading to question two

2. How often is your beer being brewed?
      Ok, technically speaking it could be stored there or at my house as yes they have room. I have access to 1 FV, so 2-3X per month on a 7BBL system. I might be able to have it so that I just rack it off while we clean the FV and brew the next batch. I expect I's use Wyeast California Ale V or just the standard california ale yeast. If I can get it to flocc well and not require filtering I might even be able to just pull off the yeast - carb in the FV - keg and repeat.

Comment

Working...
      X